MDT 2013 Win 7 deployment stuck on searching for updates RRS feed

• Question

• I am testing my upgrade of MDT to 2013 u2, imaging a VM.  It has been stuck "searching" for updates for 19 hours, with the CPU pegged at 100% by wuauserv.  MICROSOFT, WHAT IS GOING ON?  IT ISN'T PROCESSING ANY FILE OR ACCESSING THE NETWORK!!  THIS IS INTOLERABLE!!  THERE ARE COMPLAINTS ALL OVER THE INTERNET AND THIS IS STILL BROKEN!!

Wednesday, September 28, 2016 1:13 PM

Answers

• Hi, 

you have to update your Windows Update Agent in this case.

In my ts i use KB3161608 WUA to fix this problem.

Optional: Install KB3138612 and KB3020369 before.

You also can import the Convenience Rollup (KB3125574) to short your Deployment time.

Alex

• Marked as answer by BigPurpleDick Wednesday, September 28, 2016 4:26 PM
    Wednesday, September 28, 2016 1:30 PM
  • Hi Alex...thanks for the advice, but be advised that package has already been superseded, twice as of this writing.  I just added KB3172605 with dism, and the resulting deployment is working as expected!  No more svchost pegging the processor for hours!

Any idea why this important (in my opinion) update was not pulled down by WSUS? 

Wednesday, September 28, 2016 4:26 PM

All replies

• I've seen this behavior too. If I recall correctly, it has something to do with the update catalog not being up to date, and Windows having to start from scratch, thus taking forever... I've abandoned that approach and just rely on WSUS and our endpoint mgmt service to update Windows after it has been imaged. To create images, I build up Windows from scratch in a VM, and update it until wuauserv finds no more updates. It takes about a day or so to do so, but after that I have a VM/master copy of Windows that I update every few months and recapture.

Jason

Wednesday, September 28, 2016 1:18 PM
  • Hi, 

you have to update your Windows Update Agent in this case.

In my ts i use KB3161608 WUA to fix this problem.

Optional: Install KB3138612 and KB3020369 before.

You also can import the Convenience Rollup (KB3125574) to short your Deployment time.

Alex

Wednesday, September 28, 2016 1:30 PM
  • Thanks for the insight Jason.  I thought about employing that update strategy, but the retarded way that desktop customization works now makes that a pain.  I used DISM to apply the update rollup, but now there are several months of additional updates pending.  Does anybody know if that process is what "breaks" the catalog?  In any event, this should not take 24 hours to rebuild.

Wednesday, September 28, 2016 1:41 PM
  • I took the easy way out. A fresh install of Windows 7 SP1 (2009) will take at least a couple hundred updates before it stops. I installed the Convenience update for Windows 7 and still there was 60+ updates still needed. Also, if there is Microsoft Office installed, there will be a bunch more updates too.

Jason

Wednesday, September 28, 2016 3:18 PM
  • Hi Alex...thanks for the advice, but be advised that package has already been superseded, twice as of this writing.  I just added KB3172605 with dism, and the resulting deployment is working as expected!  No more svchost pegging the processor for hours!

Any idea why this important (in my opinion) update was not pulled down by WSUS? 

Wednesday, September 28, 2016 4:26 PM
  • There is a patch for the WSUS server also.  DO you have that?

Many questions such as where do I find logs and what logs are interesting are found in: MDT TechNet Forum - FAQ & Getting Started Guide Please take the time to read it. Also if you don't post logs your problem won't be easily solved.

Wednesday, September 28, 2016 10:05 PM
  • As far as I know WSUS is up to date.

My problems with update times precedes implementing WSUS.

Friday, September 30, 2016 6:05 PM
  • Are you sure?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3159706

Many questions such as where do I find logs and what logs are interesting are found in: MDT TechNet Forum - FAQ & Getting Started Guide Please take the time to read it. Also if you don't post logs your problem won't be easily solved.

Friday, September 30, 2016 9:15 PM