Migrate and Upgrade SCCM 2012 to SCCM 2012 SP 1 / SQL 2012 on new server RRS feed

• Question

• So I have been researching and can't seem to find a good answer to this.  I was hoping that someone would be able to help me out with some information.

I am currently running SCCM 2012 and SQL 2008 on an aging server, running Windows 2088 R2.  I bought a new server so we could install Windows 2012 with SCCM 2012 SP1.  I was originally told that we would be installing SQL 2008 but was recently told the company wants to move to SQL 2012 as well. 

My plan was to fake a disaster.  I would take the backup of SCCM 2012 and then pull the network cable for the old server.  From there, I would install SCCM 2012 SP1 CD choosing the recovery option.  Is this a sound plan or am I going to run into an issue where the 2010 (no SP) wont' be useable by 2012 SP1?  What about the SQL aspect where I would be moving to 2012?  Or, am I going to have to install SCCM 2012 with SQL 2008 and then upgrade each one individually?

Thank you.

Tuesday, April 9, 2013 5:20 PM

Answers

• Hi Brian,

My recommendation would be the following, and is based on the assumption this is a stand-alone site (as you've only mentioned moving 1 configuration):

1. Make sure you have a backup of your existing SCCM deployment, just in case
    2. Upgrade that site to SP1
    3. Deploy your new server, with 2012/2012 and then install SCCM SP1
    4. Execute a DB Move
    5. Confirm the new environment is working correctly with the DB
    6. If you use AD extensions, you may need to look at the system management entries and delete the old ones
    7. Shut down the old system

Please let me know how this works out for you!

Bob Edwards SDET, Microsoft Corporation SCCM PVT, STRESS, and Performance consultant

• Marked as answer by BrianGWAccount Wednesday, April 17, 2013 1:24 PM
    Monday, April 15, 2013 5:41 PM
  • I just wanted to thank everyone for their responses and apologize for the delayed response.  Unfortunately, shortly after posting this I no longer had the option of faking a disaster as a real one occurred.  All of a sudden, the admin console stopped loading.  While attempting to fix it, I rebooted at one point and the server entered a boot loop.  Instead of trying to fix the old one, we decided to forge ahead with the new one as the server itself was already built.  During the process, I actually got involved with Microsoft who helped me devise a recovery plan.  This is what we did.

1. Install SQL 2012 on the server with no service pack.
    2. Install SCCM 2012 (no SP) with the recovery option.  The system recovered the database and site settings.
    3. Upgrade to SQL 2012 SP1.
    4. Upgrade to SCCM 2012 SP1.
    5. Copy over the SC Install (not required but I wanted to and had it on tape) and the SCCM Content Lib folder.

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 1:24 PM

All replies

• There is a good chance that you will run into difficulty if you just "fake a disaster". You should really plan your upgrades methodically and carry out them using a phased approach. The first thing you should do is run the SQL 2012 Upgrade Advisor on your current SQL infrastructure. Based on the report you can then devise a strategy. It could be that your upgrade to SQL 2012 is fully supported. You can then backup the database and restore it directly to a new SQL 2012 server.

Gerry Hampson | Blog: www.gerryhampsoncm.blogspot.ie | LinkedIn: Gerry Hampson | Twitter: @gerryhampson

• Edited by Gerry HampsonMVP Wednesday, June 26, 2013 12:17 AM Edited blog address
    Monday, April 15, 2013 6:59 AM
  • Hi Brian,

My recommendation would be the following, and is based on the assumption this is a stand-alone site (as you've only mentioned moving 1 configuration):

1. Make sure you have a backup of your existing SCCM deployment, just in case
    2. Upgrade that site to SP1
    3. Deploy your new server, with 2012/2012 and then install SCCM SP1
    4. Execute a DB Move
    5. Confirm the new environment is working correctly with the DB
    6. If you use AD extensions, you may need to look at the system management entries and delete the old ones
    7. Shut down the old system

Please let me know how this works out for you!

Bob Edwards SDET, Microsoft Corporation SCCM PVT, STRESS, and Performance consultant

Monday, April 15, 2013 5:41 PM
  • I just wanted to thank everyone for their responses and apologize for the delayed response.  Unfortunately, shortly after posting this I no longer had the option of faking a disaster as a real one occurred.  All of a sudden, the admin console stopped loading.  While attempting to fix it, I rebooted at one point and the server entered a boot loop.  Instead of trying to fix the old one, we decided to forge ahead with the new one as the server itself was already built.  During the process, I actually got involved with Microsoft who helped me devise a recovery plan.  This is what we did.

1. Install SQL 2012 on the server with no service pack.
    2. Install SCCM 2012 (no SP) with the recovery option.  The system recovered the database and site settings.
    3. Upgrade to SQL 2012 SP1.
    4. Upgrade to SCCM 2012 SP1.
    5. Copy over the SC Install (not required but I wanted to and had it on tape) and the SCCM Content Lib folder.

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 1:24 PM