Double downloads of Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 and Framework 4 RRS feed

• Question

• I recently went to uninstall a program through Glary Utilities and noticed there are two installs of both .NET Framework 3.5 SP 1 (one of which is 82.6 MB, the other only 27.4 MB) and .NET Framework 4 (one of which is a whopping 330.4 MB while the other is 38.8).  The two 3.5 installs were 6 months apart, but both Framework 4 installs were done the same day.  I'm not entirely sure how this happened, but is it safe to remove one of each installs?  It looks like I also have two installs of Windows Live OneCare safety scanner intalled on the same day (one is 46.3 MB and the other is 40.5).

Anybody have any idea why/how this happened and whether I can safely remove one copy of these programs without removing the whole thing?

Tuesday, November 16, 2010 8:06 PM

Answers

• As you know if you remove anything needed the next time you do updates it will show up again. Sorry for asking this since you posted in Vista but are you talking about XP. If you are using Vista, which version? I think you should recheck these installed versions using windows as .net 4 for XP and vista is only 120 MB and 38 MB (you wrote 330 MB and 38 MB) Yes you should have 2. As for .net 3.5 you should have 1, plus 1 update, plus 1 security update, plus 2 hot fixes, in Vista and  XP.  As for the Scanner you should have 1 but the scanner is only 3 MB not 46 or 40 MB. Remove these and download a new one since it is a very small file anyway. Do not remove any .net before a recheck. Let me know.
    • Proposed as answer by fyip Wednesday, November 17, 2010 1:22 AM
    • Marked as answer by Sabrina Shen Wednesday, November 24, 2010 8:17 AM
    Wednesday, November 17, 2010 1:21 AM
  • Hi,

Please understand that .NET Framework is a development and execution environment that allows different programming languages and libraries to work together seamlessly to create Windows-based applications that are easier to build, manage, deploy, and integrate with other networked systems.

If you remove the .Net Framework components, some related applications may not work. Also, when you trying to install some applications in the future, they will still require the .Net Framework components.

For detailed information, please refer to the following page:

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/netframework/aa569294.aspx

Regards,

Sabrina

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights. |Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, November 18, 2010 6:08 AM

All replies

• As you know if you remove anything needed the next time you do updates it will show up again. Sorry for asking this since you posted in Vista but are you talking about XP. If you are using Vista, which version? I think you should recheck these installed versions using windows as .net 4 for XP and vista is only 120 MB and 38 MB (you wrote 330 MB and 38 MB) Yes you should have 2. As for .net 3.5 you should have 1, plus 1 update, plus 1 security update, plus 2 hot fixes, in Vista and  XP.  As for the Scanner you should have 1 but the scanner is only 3 MB not 46 or 40 MB. Remove these and download a new one since it is a very small file anyway. Do not remove any .net before a recheck. Let me know.
    • Proposed as answer by fyip Wednesday, November 17, 2010 1:22 AM
    Wednesday, November 17, 2010 1:21 AM
  • Hi,

Please understand that .NET Framework is a development and execution environment that allows different programming languages and libraries to work together seamlessly to create Windows-based applications that are easier to build, manage, deploy, and integrate with other networked systems.

If you remove the .Net Framework components, some related applications may not work. Also, when you trying to install some applications in the future, they will still require the .Net Framework components.

For detailed information, please refer to the following page:

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/netframework/aa569294.aspx

Regards,

Sabrina

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights. |Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, November 18, 2010 6:08 AM