none
*.MPP File Association - Need to make 2000 RRS feed

• Question

• I am running a windows 7 machine.

I have two versions of MS Project 2000 and 2007 both installed.  I need the MS Project 2000 version to work with a group of people.  I need the default (associated with *.mpp) program to be MS Project 2000.  However, if I try to change the association (by changing default program and pointing the *.MPP to WINPROJ.EXE (The MS Project 2000 executable), it continues to open the newer version of MS Project.

The answer is NOT:

• Why don't you want to use 2007?
    • Why don't you upgrade?
    Friday, February 19, 2016 12:30 PM

All replies

• mattstoc,

I like Project 2000. In my recollection, it was pretty "clean" and didn't suffer the cadre of problems in the wake of Project 2007's release.

However, you do realize that support for that old a version is limited and there may be some good features you are missing by not upgrading to a more current version. That said, I'm not sure if these ideas will work but they are worth a try.

1. Unless you need to use both versions, and it doesn't sound like you do, I'd uninstall Project 2007. Assuming you have the installation media and activation code, you can always re-install it if needed. By the way, if you don't also have the SP3 update, Project 2007 is more pain then it's worth.

2. Another option for having both version is to have each on a separate virtual PC. I have Project 98/2000 on one virtual PC, Project 2003 on another, Project 2007 on another and Project 2010 on a couple more, one with Windows XP and one with Windows 7

3. If neither of the above is acceptable, then try un-installing both versions. Then install Project 2007 with SP3 first. Follow that with the installation of Project 2000 with SP1.

Hope this helps.

John

Friday, February 19, 2016 3:59 PM
  • I would run a repair on 2000, that often fixes the association.

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book | P2O

Friday, February 19, 2016 6:27 PM