"We want Skype for Business" RRS feed

• Question

• Is how I'm approached.   I manage Exchange 2016 on premise and know nothing about Skype.

I don't get a clear picture of exactly they want to do with Skype.

I know they want it on premise and want to authenticate with active directory.

But they also want to communicate with people outside of the organization.

I'm not finding articles that are helping me get a concrete picture of how to get started.

I see I need SQL (I think I'll need Skype "enterprise").

Can Skype share a SQL server with other applications?

Or do I really have to have a front end and a back end server?

Do I really have to have an edge server to communicate with people outside the organization, or can I poke a hole in the firewall?

If anyone can point me to good "getting started" articles more helpful than what a Google search is giving me, I'd sure appreciate it.

David

Monday, June 3, 2019 8:33 PM

Answers

• Hi David,

//Skype for Business server has “Standard” and “Enterprise” edition versions. Both versions have all features/functionality of Skype for Business, Standard Edition is not support High available. Standard Edition is better suited for smaller organizations (<6500 users). Enterprise Edition could support up to 80000 users per pool ( with 12 FEs).  

Enterprise Edition Front End pool includes: One or more Front End Servers (Ideally at least three, for scalability), with a maximum of twelve, and a separate Back End Server.

The Back End Servers are database servers running Microsoft SQL Server that provide the database services for the Front End pool.

//According the official article, “We do not recommend collocating Skype for Business Server databases with other databases.”

Do I really have to have an edge server to communicate with people outside the organization, or can I poke a hole in the firewall?

//If you want to communicate with external users, Edge server is needed.

You can start here:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/skypeforbusiness/plan-your-deployment/plan-your-deployment and https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/skypeforbusiness/deploy/deploy

Best Regards,
    Shaw Lu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Proposed as answer by Shaw_Lu Tuesday, June 4, 2019 7:56 AM
    • Marked as answer by DavidLz Monday, June 10, 2019 2:46 PM
    Tuesday, June 4, 2019 6:32 AM

All replies

• "I know they want it on premise and want to authenticate with active directory."

If you can talk them out of On-premise for Skype Online, it'll save you, them, and your users a crapload of trouble. Skype for Business is a very involved application and can be very tricky to install and administer.

"Can Skype share a SQL server with other applications?"

Depends on your SQL license. SfB has about 13 different databases it installs, so if you have the correct licensing to support that and whatever else you have go for it (be aware of performance demands, though).

"Or do I really have to have a front end and a back end server?"

Yes. Back end servers are the SQL servers, in essence. They provide some backup and some primary functionality for the Front End servers. In the last question, the SQL server would be a backend server.

"Do I really have to have an edge server to communicate with people outside the organization, or can I poke a hole in the firewall?"

Yes. SfB utilizes SIP very heavily, and the Edge server concentrates the traffic required for SfB to work over the Internet into a few ports instead of the mountain of ports required for Internal traffic (no, you don't want to open 20,000+ ports to the Internet for this.)

Monday, June 3, 2019 11:12 PM
  • Hi David,

//Skype for Business server has “Standard” and “Enterprise” edition versions. Both versions have all features/functionality of Skype for Business, Standard Edition is not support High available. Standard Edition is better suited for smaller organizations (<6500 users). Enterprise Edition could support up to 80000 users per pool ( with 12 FEs).  

Enterprise Edition Front End pool includes: One or more Front End Servers (Ideally at least three, for scalability), with a maximum of twelve, and a separate Back End Server.

The Back End Servers are database servers running Microsoft SQL Server that provide the database services for the Front End pool.

//According the official article, “We do not recommend collocating Skype for Business Server databases with other databases.”

//If you want to communicate with external users, Edge server is needed.

You can start here:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/skypeforbusiness/plan-your-deployment/plan-your-deployment and https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/skypeforbusiness/deploy/deploy

Best Regards,
    Shaw Lu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Marked as answer by DavidLz Monday, June 10, 2019 2:46 PM
    Tuesday, June 4, 2019 6:32 AM
  • Thanks Shaw.   I read all that and hoped some for some live experience.   Seems like MS articles have never really matched my world.

David

Tuesday, June 4, 2019 2:08 PM
  • Thanks Shaw

David

Tuesday, June 4, 2019 2:09 PM
  • They are opposed to Skype Online because they don't want to link the active directory to the cloud.  Licensing is not an issue for SQL, and hopefully performance won't be either.

David

Tuesday, June 4, 2019 2:13 PM
  • How about Skype online with Exchange on premises.   Can I get that done without syncing Active Directory to the cloud?

David

Wednesday, June 5, 2019 8:42 PM
  • Hi DavidLz,

Please refer to this article:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2614242/how-to-integrate-exchange-server-2013-with-lync-server-2013-skype-for

According it, for Exchange on-premise and Skype for Business online integration, directory synchronization is still required.

Best Regards,
    Shaw Lu

• Edited by Shaw_Lu Thursday, June 6, 2019 1:02 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Shaw_Lu Thursday, June 6, 2019 8:54 AM
    Thursday, June 6, 2019 1:02 AM
  • Hi,

Do you have any further issue on this topic?

Meanwhile, if there is no issue, please remember to mark helpful reply as answer to close the thread. Your action would be helpful to other users who encounter the same issue and read this thread.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,
    Shaw Lu

Monday, June 10, 2019 7:31 AM