Running ESEUtil in parallel on multiple databases / log files for verification RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am a newbie to Exchange server and wanted to know if it is okay to run multiple instances of ESEUtil in parallel for database / log file verification. The goal is to complete the backup verification faster. Is this supported?

Thanks,

Anagha

Tuesday, October 2, 2012 6:41 PM

Answers

• Hi Anagha,

Sorry for delaying response.

I click on the link and I cannot open it, either. However, I can open it by copy the URL to a new IE page. Strange.

Or you can just search the "Exchange 2007 / 2010: Windows Server Backup and Performance Issues" in Google to open it.

"For Exchange 2007 and 2010, can we skip running ESEUtil to verify the backups?"

As the blog said:

In many cases the performance issues coincide with the consistency check portion of the Exchange backup.  Remember that using Windows Server Backup to backup Exchange is essentially a 4 step process:

1)  Volume Shadow copy is made of the Exchange data on the host where the backup is initiated.

2)  All Exchange log files and database files in the backup set must have a consistency check performed.

3)  The data on the drives is written to the desired backup media.

4)  Backup complete is performed allowing for log truncation activities (if applicable).

Frank Wang

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Anagha_12 Monday, October 8, 2012 5:03 PM
    Monday, October 8, 2012 2:32 AM

All replies

• I don't think you can accomplish this, when running ESEUTIL against given DB, the given DB should be in Lock stage and you should not be able to do anything within until ESEUTIL completes its assigned task.

I am not sure where your backup verification is taking place, in reality the ESEUTIL should run from separate space, not from same LUN or SAN device, It needs to be separate from production. This way you would not have to worry if it is taking time to complete or generation high I/O (which is expected anyways)

good luck

ocd

Oz Casey, Dedeal MCITP (EMA), MCITP (EA), MCITP (SA) Visit smtp25.blogspot.com Visit Telnet25.wordpress.com   This posting is provided AS-IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Tuesday, October 2, 2012 7:01 PM
  • The ESEUtil is running against backed up data (separate from production). Given that, if we run ESEUtil in parallel on multiple databases, we will complete the backup verification faster (and mark a backup as good or bad).
    Tuesday, October 2, 2012 9:00 PM
  • Hi Anagha,

The consistency check process is utilizing eseutil on the local box in order to perform log file and database verification.  (The administrator can run a similar command using eseutil /k).

However, you can use the Eseutil /K command to verify the checksum integrity of the transaction log stream when all the databases in the storage group are dismounted.

Also an important note here is that eseutil is not throttled during this verification routine which can incur performance impacts on your disks.

Thus I would avoid to run the Esetuil /k manually.

Resource:

Exchange 2007 / 2010: Windows Server Backup and Performance Issues

http://blogs.technet.com/b/timmcmic/archive/2011/07/12/exchange-2007-2010-windows-server-backup-and-performance-issues.aspx

Eseutil /K Checksum Mode

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb124276(v=exchg.80).aspx

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Frank Wang

Wednesday, October 3, 2012 8:23 AM
  • Thanks Frank!

I cannot open the first link (TechNet blogs) you have mentioned. For Exchange 2007 and 2010, can we skip running ESEUtil to verify the backups?

Thanks,

Anagha

Friday, October 5, 2012 11:19 PM
  • Hi Anagha,

Sorry for delaying response.

I click on the link and I cannot open it, either. However, I can open it by copy the URL to a new IE page. Strange.

Or you can just search the "Exchange 2007 / 2010: Windows Server Backup and Performance Issues" in Google to open it.

"For Exchange 2007 and 2010, can we skip running ESEUtil to verify the backups?"

As the blog said:

In many cases the performance issues coincide with the consistency check portion of the Exchange backup.  Remember that using Windows Server Backup to backup Exchange is essentially a 4 step process:

1)  Volume Shadow copy is made of the Exchange data on the host where the backup is initiated.

2)  All Exchange log files and database files in the backup set must have a consistency check performed.

3)  The data on the drives is written to the desired backup media.

4)  Backup complete is performed allowing for log truncation activities (if applicable).

Frank Wang

• Marked as answer by Anagha_12 Monday, October 8, 2012 5:03 PM
    Monday, October 8, 2012 2:32 AM