none
What has priority - folder redirection group policy or settings for the user in AD Users and Computers?

Question

• Pretty std Windows 7 domain with Windows 2008 R2/Windows 2012 R2 Domain controllers. Domain has been around for ~17 years so a number of group policies exists that were created long ago. One is folder redirection which points the users home directories to \\fileserver\home\%username%. We set up on the folder on the fileserver when adding a new user. In AD Users and Computers we set the users profile to \\fileserver\profiles\%username% as well as under Home folder set the Z: drive to \\fileserver\home\%username%. It seems to me that I can remove the GP for folder redirection and just use AD Users and Computers to set the path. Am I missing something. We are a small company with only about 100 users and typically only add 10 or so employees a year. I am trying to remove GPs that aren't needed and the one with folder redirection also has the ole "Internet explorer maintenance" object in it. Thanks in advance

eburch@lasertel.com

Wednesday, February 15, 2017 10:51 PM

All replies

• Hi,

>>It seems to me that I can remove the GP for folder redirection and just use AD Users and Computers to set the path. Am I missing something

I suppose they're the same settings and both has the same effects.

One is using GPO to achieve the purpose while other is using ADUC.

If you using ADUC, I suppose you could make it more faster by using PS script, e.g.:

Get-ADUser -Filter * -Properties *  | Set-ADUser -Add @{'HomeDrive'='Z:\share'} 

>>I am trying to remove GPs that aren't needed and the one with folder redirection also has the ole "Internet explorer maintenance"

Besides, before removing these applied GPOs, you'd better know what are they used for and if you really don't need them anymore?

You could run gpresult /h  <filename> to export these gpos to an html file then check them.

Best regards,

Andy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, February 16, 2017 8:01 AM
  • No, you cannot.

By default, Documents (and all other redirectable folders) are part of %userprofile%. Assigning a home drive does NOT change this.
    The result if roaming profiles are used: At each logon and logoff all Documents folder contents is copied from and to the server.
    FR is used to avoid this, and so speeds up logon logoff times.

Thursday, February 16, 2017 1:50 PM
  • > has the ole "Internet explorer maintenance" object in it.

Then remove it. How to? I already explained several times here in the forum - you might be able to find it if you search for
    A2E30F80-D7DE-11d2-BBDE-00C04F86AE3B

Thursday, February 16, 2017 1:51 PM
  • So very interesting as I dig into this - I find the "my folders (documents,  videos, picture, etc) are in both the Profiles directory and the Home directory but only the one in the home directory seems to be being used which I assume is being caused by the user folder redirection GPO. The balance of the user profile is stored in the profiles directory where you would expect. Part of the confusion stems from the fact that many users where created under Windows 2000 and XP which handled profiles differently than Windows 7. We created a user.v2 profile folder for users as we migrated them to Windows 7. I think it may be easier just to move the folder redirection higher in the GPO tree and then disable the GPO that has folder redirection and IE maintenance and then, if all goes well, delete it.

Thx

eburch@lasertel.com

Thursday, February 16, 2017 5:35 PM
  • Makes sense - you need both a home directory and a folder redirection to that home directory. I have been running this network for ~18 years and I forget why I set some up this stuff the way I did. I have been writing more down over the last few years as I grow up my replacement.

eburch@lasertel.com

Thursday, February 16, 2017 5:38 PM