none
Disadvantages of Tape compression RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

we have several DPM Servers , nearly all are running DPM2010, Build 3.0.8180.0.

Tape Libraries: Fujitsu LT60, TX48, all LTO4.

Most of the environment was configured before my time, compression is NOT set in any PG.
    Colleagues told me there are problems configuring compression in a PG..... (perhaps hisrorically from 2007??)

So my question: Because we are running into space Problems:

Is there any disadvantage if I turn on compression in all our PGs?

Thanks i advance

/bkpfast

My postings are provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confer no rights

Tuesday, June 18, 2013 9:33 AM

Answers

• Hi,

DPM does not do software compression, DPM simply sends down an IOCTL to the tape drive to enable hardware compression.  If there were any problems with compression in the past (I'm not aware of any), it would not have been the fault of DPM.

I vote you enable hardware compression in all your PG's - should you run into problems, engage the drive vendor. 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, June 21, 2013 11:32 PM

All replies

• Hi,

you mean longterm protection?

Tuesday, June 18, 2013 9:53 AM
  • yes, Long term

My postings are provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confer no rights

Tuesday, June 18, 2013 10:16 AM
  • Suppose we talking about that option.

If so - i see no problem. U are using LTO4, compression avaviliable. 

If u have any fears - try it on one PG. 

If its allright u will see "Data written" on Managment more then 800GB

DPM2010 LongTerm Compress data

Tuesday, June 18, 2013 10:25 AM
  • Hi,

DPM does not do software compression, DPM simply sends down an IOCTL to the tape drive to enable hardware compression.  If there were any problems with compression in the past (I'm not aware of any), it would not have been the fault of DPM.

I vote you enable hardware compression in all your PG's - should you run into problems, engage the drive vendor. 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, June 21, 2013 11:32 PM