Sysprep image looking for install CD RRS feed

• Question

• Built POSReady 2009 images using typical, minimal and custom settings. Some images I added my drivers and then sysprep using the Reseal button. Other images I went immediately from the first startup after PR9 installation to sysprep. No matter which method, when a machine w/ the sysprep'ed image starts up, the first screen after the "Let's setup your machine..." message, has a file open dialog (Some files on Win XP CD-ROM are needed), with the D:\i386 path, looking for c_037.nls file. If the machine has the DVD Drive attached w/ the DVD, it's accessed. If DVD is not attached, cancel the dialog and machine can be configured and PR9 is up and running. After it is up and running, that file open dialog no longer appears.
    Why is this message appearing when my sysprep'ed images are imaged to a new HDD and the machine is first started up? If I let the machine access the install CD to get what it wants, configure the machine, sysprep it again, when it starts up again, it has the D:\i386 file open dialog.
    Thanks,
    Paul
    Tuesday, November 24, 2009 4:02 PM

Answers

• Paul,

The preferred method to Sysprep a POSReady image is to use Mini-Setup which bypasses the OOBE where the additional files are required.  It is also recommended to use SYSPREP.INF to automate the Mini-Setup to avoid the need to supply the Product Key. 

You may also be prompted for these additional files if you specify INSTALLFILESPATH in your SYSPREP.INF and the files are not present in the location specified. If INSTALLFILESPATH is causing your problem, the Windows XP Resource Kit recommends copying the I386 folder from your distribution media to C:\SYSPREP\I386 and point the INSTALLFILESPATH to this location.  The folder will be automatically cleaned up once SYSPREP completes.

You may also be interested in the POSReady Deployment Planning Guide available in our content library on TechNet:  http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd936220.aspx

Terry Warwick
    Microsoft
    Tuesday, November 24, 2009 9:32 PM

All replies

• Paul,

The preferred method to Sysprep a POSReady image is to use Mini-Setup which bypasses the OOBE where the additional files are required.  It is also recommended to use SYSPREP.INF to automate the Mini-Setup to avoid the need to supply the Product Key. 

You may also be prompted for these additional files if you specify INSTALLFILESPATH in your SYSPREP.INF and the files are not present in the location specified. If INSTALLFILESPATH is causing your problem, the Windows XP Resource Kit recommends copying the I386 folder from your distribution media to C:\SYSPREP\I386 and point the INSTALLFILESPATH to this location.  The folder will be automatically cleaned up once SYSPREP completes.

You may also be interested in the POSReady Deployment Planning Guide available in our content library on TechNet:  http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd936220.aspx

Terry Warwick
    Microsoft
    Tuesday, November 24, 2009 9:32 PM
  • Terry,
    Thanks for your help and patience w/ a new guy.
    I reviewed the deployment information/faqs, etc. and used the mini-setup and .inf file and things are working much better.
    Thanks again,
    Paul
    Friday, December 4, 2009 10:20 PM