Just upgraded to SCCM 2012 R2 SP1 CU1 : How do I update all my clients? Few questions.. RRS feed

• Question

• I'm a bit lost after updating my system to SCCM 2012 R2 SP1.  I went up from SCCM 2012 w/ SP1 to SCCM 2012 R2, then installed SP1 and then CU1. 

That being said, I set the option for "Upgrade client automatically when new client updates are available".

All the clients in my environment are currently on client version 5.00.7804.1000

What's the best way to update all my clients to the new/right/current version? 

Under Software Library / Packages / Configuration Manager Updates I have the new CU1 KB3074857 - x64 and x86 client update for my site, and i've distributed those to my distribution points.  I've created x86 and x64 device collections and then deployed each to their respective group.  Each client update is failing with Message ID 10006 and Description 1642.  Every one of them has failed.

Few questions:

1) what's the best way to deploy / update all my clients?

2) is there anything else after upgrading to R2 SP1 CU1 that I need to do to be up to date?

3) are there any other updates I need to be aware of?

I appreciate any help any of you can provide, thank you!  

Friday, November 13, 2015 6:26 PM

Answers

All replies

• All of the clients need to be at the R2 SP1 version before they install the CU1 client update.  Add some logic to your collection membership to determine the client version. . .

This relates to an older version of COnfigMgr 2012, but the process for creating the collections is the same:

http://www.scconfigmgr.com/2013/04/02/upgrade-configmgr-2012-sp1-clients-with-the-cu1-update/

Hope that helps.

Jeff

Friday, November 13, 2015 6:50 PM
  • So there is no way to upgrade my clients from their current version (2012 SP1) to the newest (R2 SP1 CU1) except jumping all of them up one verssion at a time? 

Friday, November 13, 2015 7:11 PM
  • Also, in my task sequence what client am I supposed to be pushing out as the "default client package" now?

The only one I see in Packages is the one I've been using from the beginning when we deployed SCCM 2012, but then under configuration manager updates there are now cu1 and sp1 cu3 updates to the clients/etc.  

Friday, November 13, 2015 7:17 PM
  • R2 SP1 CU1 adds the ability to automatically update clients with the cumulative update. See here: http://blogs.technet.com/b/configmgrteam/archive/2015/08/04/automatically-updating-the-configuration-manager-client.aspx

Basically, with CU1, you now do now can automatically update all of your clients to the latest CU.

That article also provides some guidance about using the PATCH property if needed for your client install step in the task sequence.

Jeff

Friday, November 13, 2015 8:27 PM
  • I'll keep an eye on it, thank you!

Few questions for you:

I need to know the way to confirm that my system is installing the NEW client to all new OSD Deployments.  Is there supposed to be a new package created manually in my Software / Packages folder or do I use the one under Software / Packages / "Configuration Manager Updates" ?  

Also, where is the source files stored for the new updated client if I wanted to run the sccmclient.exe manually?  I have a process for new computers coming in to our district where we have it run the installer rather than wait for auto-discover for laptops that go in carts.  Any idea?

Thanks so much!

Friday, November 13, 2015 9:27 PM
  • The CU updater will create a new package for you if you choose/chose the option for it to do so.

Source files are in the same place as they always have been, <ConfigMgrInstallDirectory>\client on the site server. All hotfixes, including CUs, are added to <ConfigMgrInstallDirectory>\hotfix. I think the current CU hotfix is also added to <ConfigMgrInstallDirectory>\client but I don't have a site in front of me atm to confirm that.

For manual installation, always use a *copy* of the client directory -- never share it out or try to reference it directly.

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com | @jasonsandys

Friday, November 13, 2015 9:45 PM