none
MS Project Professional 2010 - Tasks and Formatting Lost RRS feed

• Question

• I am using MS Project to manage the SRM Program.  This Program has over a thousand tasks and over a hundred milestones.  As we complete tasks and milestones I am formatting the backgrounds differently for ease of use.  I am shading tasks grey and milestones yellow/green.

MS Project keeps removing my formatting.  Literally, I will shade a hundred tasks grey and then MS Project will remove my formatting without prompting me.

This is getting frustrating as I have to keep insertting formatting.  How do I fix this?

Is this something a Service Pack might fix or am I doing something wrong in the way I am selecting stuff?

• Edited by Frobok Tuesday, May 6, 2014 4:45 PM
    Tuesday, May 6, 2014 4:28 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I'd suggest to install the latest SP of MS Project Std 2010. Then if it is not working, I'd suggest to repair it from the control panel.

Finally your file might be corrupted. In order to repair it, save your file as an XML file (change the output format from the "save as" dialog box), close Project, open again Project, open your XML file with the wisard and save it back as an MPP file.

If you are willing to dig into this issue, send me your file at guillaumeDOTrouyreATgcosiDOTcom (replace caps).

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MCP, MCTS |

• Marked as answer by Frobok Wednesday, May 7, 2014 12:29 PM
    Tuesday, May 6, 2014 4:56 PM

All replies

• Hi,

• Are you using MS Project Pro 2010 connected to Project Server or in standalone mode?
    • Which service pack do you have?
    • When you say that you're doing some formatting, is it in the table/grid (in the left part) with the tasks' name and attributes or in the Gantt chart (right part of your screen)?

Please give us more details and we'll be pleased to help you.

Hope this helps,

Tuesday, May 6, 2014 4:46 PM
  • Using Project Standard Edition Standalone. Don't have any service packs installed.

The formatting that I am doing is in the table/grid with the task's name and attributes. (In the left part)

• Edited by Frobok Tuesday, May 6, 2014 4:54 PM
    Tuesday, May 6, 2014 4:51 PM
  • Hi,

I'd suggest to install the latest SP of MS Project Std 2010. Then if it is not working, I'd suggest to repair it from the control panel.

Finally your file might be corrupted. In order to repair it, save your file as an XML file (change the output format from the "save as" dialog box), close Project, open again Project, open your XML file with the wisard and save it back as an MPP file.

If you are willing to dig into this issue, send me your file at guillaumeDOTrouyreATgcosiDOTcom (replace caps).

Hope this helps,

• Marked as answer by Frobok Wednesday, May 7, 2014 12:29 PM
    Tuesday, May 6, 2014 4:56 PM
  • Pardon me for bumping in, but you may be running in to an issue with the amount of direct formatting you are applying.  You might have better success with using the Marked field and changing the Marked field text style.  You could set the Marked Field to "Yes" for the completed tasks and then only have to directly format the milestones.

As Guillaume notes, the first step is to install both SP-1 and SP-2 to Project 2010.  I believe there were a number of fixes to formatting issues in both SP-1 and SP-2.

SP-1: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2460052/en-us

SP-2: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2687457/en-us

I hope this helps.

Tuesday, May 6, 2014 5:48 PM
  • Do you know if you must install SP 1 first or if SP 2 is all inclusive? 

Thanks for your help!

Tuesday, May 6, 2014 5:54 PM
  • I will try these things!

Thanks for your assistance!

Tuesday, May 6, 2014 5:54 PM
  • Go straight to SP2 (and pick up $200 if you pass Go!)

Rod Gill
    Author of the one and only Project VBA Book
    www.project-systems.co.nz

Wednesday, May 7, 2014 6:59 AM