Slight confusion about the ISO image.. RRS feed

• Question

• Ok... I'm confused.

Ive read various sources that say the Vista Beta 2 image is supposed to be 3.5 GB.

I've seen the offer to order the beta from Microsoft - and it's on a DVD.

I've finally gotten to a page where I can download the ISO "image" - and the resulting file which IS complete - is 13.5 MB. I can even view the image in various programs - like Alcohol 120% and it looks to be seriously lacking in content. I haven't burned the image as yet - seems a waste to burn it if it's incomplete.

What gives?

Friday, June 9, 2006 6:04 AM

Answers

• The full image is around 3.5 GB. That requries a DVD disk, hence the offer from MS.

The file you have brought down is either not Vista Beta 2 or is not complete. W

What is the file name? The 32-bit english iso is:

vista_5384.4.060518-1455_winmain_beta2_x86fre_client-LB2CFRE_EN_DVD.iso

It sounds like a bad download. I suggest you try again.
    Friday, June 9, 2006 10:28 AM

All replies

• The full image is around 3.5 GB. That requries a DVD disk, hence the offer from MS.

The file you have brought down is either not Vista Beta 2 or is not complete. W

What is the file name? The 32-bit english iso is:

vista_5384.4.060518-1455_winmain_beta2_x86fre_client-LB2CFRE_EN_DVD.iso

It sounds like a bad download. I suggest you try again.
    Friday, June 9, 2006 10:28 AM
  • Thomas,

Thanks for the quick response. The 32 bit version came down intact - or it would seem to be thus far. Browsing the ISO showed a bunch of standard files and as soon as nero's done with the burning to a blank disc, I can start playing with the thing.

But... That is NOT the problem. The 32 bit ISO is fine. It's the 64 bit ISO that is FUBAR. The filename in question is:

vista_5384.4.060518-1455_winmain_beta2_x64fre_client-LB2CxFRE_EN_DVD.iso

And the file in question is 14,457,089 bytes long. According to the page that sent me to the download page in question, the file actually should be 4.4 GB.

The page in question can be found at:

http://download.windowsvista.com/preview/beta2/en/x64/download.htm

Use the link on the right - under "Use your own download manager", the 2nd, bottom link - the one to the 64 bit edition. The download begins immediately, however, the file is, as above, only 13 MB long - and it's consistent - every time I try the link, the resulting file is the same size. No clue about the Akamai download manager version of the file - I get a busy signal every time I've tried it.

Ah. Nero's finished. The DVD I just burned at least auto-plays to the setup screen, offering to install itself now. Looks like the 32 bit ISO is fine.

Friday, June 9, 2006 5:15 PM
  • I am having the same problem with the x64 download..every time I try it even with the download manager I get a 13.7 mb file.  The x86 file works fine though.
    Thursday, June 15, 2006 6:02 AM
  • Try another download manager. I just tried using Internet Download Manager and I was up to 20mb downloaded b4 I stopped it. I heard FlashGet was good too. Also try freedownloadmanager.
    Saturday, June 17, 2006 4:24 AM