none
JUNE 2019 Update Failure - Multiple Errors RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hi All,

    So lets make a long story a bit shorter, but hopefully I don't miss anything critical!

    Started with a Lync 2013 deployment on a patch level of something mid 2015. On the first Front End server, I drained services and installed the most up to date JUNE 2019 CU update. All went fine except the WEB SERVICES.

    This failed with errors:

    • FROM Lync_patchinstallerlog: [9/07/2019 9:12:26 PM] ERROR 1603: WebComponents.msp had errors installing.
    • FROM WebComponents log: Error 25542. Failed to find node: /configuration/system.webServer/security/authentication/windowsAuthentication in XML file: C:\Windows\system32\inetsrv\config\applicationHost.config, system error: -2147020584

    According to multiple staff and external contractors that have tried to update these servers before me, they have never been able to update the servers. Their errors they can't remember as it's been a few years. But lets just say it's not because of the most recent update.

    Looking around the next someone said that he had the same issue on a brand new server build, so he rebuilt the server from scratch, copied out that XML before the web components installer then had the paste back the clean file every time he tried to update. So I uninstalled Web Components, IIS, ASP, URL Re-Write & reinstalled it all except web components with reboots in between as required.

    Did a final reboot, tried to install the Web Components from the deployment wizard and it passes all re-req's fine but fails during the install with the following error

    "Error 26032. Failed to schedule install of IIS Web Sites"

    I'm doing a restore of the server from backups to pre-update state now... But anyone got any ideas before I try again?

    Tuesday, July 9, 2019 1:58 PM

Answers

  • OK - I found the answer after many many hours searching and looking around

    Tom_S_F is the hero over here

    social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/lync/en-US/d3f06106-0d72-46d9-8499-90eaaa3325f6/lync-2010-installation-webcomponentsmsi-installation-error-code-1603

    --------------------  

    If it helps, here's how I just fixed this problem:

    (Backup your files before doing this)

    1) I looked at the event viewer and got: Product: Microsoft Lync Server 2010, Web Components Server -- Error 25542. Failed to find node: /configuration/system.webServer/security/authentication/windowsAuthentication in XML file: C:\Windows\system32\inetsrv\config\applicationHost.config, system error: -2147020584

    2) Went onto the front end and found the C:\Windows\system32\inetsrv\config\applicationHost.config file.

    3) I found this section:

                    <windowsAuthentication enabled="true" useKernelMode="false">
                        <providers>
                            <add value="Negotiate" />
                            <add value="NTLM" />
                        </providers>
                    </windowsAuthentication>

    And I disabled it by turning it into this

    <!--

                    <windowsAuthentication enabled="true" useKernelMode="false">
                        <providers>
                            <add value="Negotiate" />
                            <add value="NTLM" />
                        </providers>
                    </windowsAuthentication>

    -->

    4) I found the section it spoke about in the error:

    It looked like this:

           <authentication>

                    <basicAuthentication />

                    <clientCertificateMappingAuthentication enabled="false" />

                    <digestAuthentication />

                    <iisClientCertificateMappingAuthentication />

                </authentication>

    5) I added Windowsauthentication like this:

           <authentication>

                    <basicAuthentication />

                    <clientCertificateMappingAuthentication enabled="false" />

                    <digestAuthentication />

                    <iisClientCertificateMappingAuthentication />

                    <windowsAuthentication />

                </authentication>

    6) Did an IISReset and ran the installer again and it worked fine.

    • Marked as answer by antsuc Tuesday, July 9, 2019 2:42 PM
    Tuesday, July 9, 2019 2:28 PM