none
DPM 2016 MigrateDatasourceDataFromDPM and Modern Backup Storage RRS feed

• Question

• In DPM 2016, can/is MigrateDatasourceDataFromDPM used to migrate legacy disk storage to new modern backup storage volumes for previously existing protection groups?  This is legacy storage that was used in a DPM 2012 R2 upgrade to DPM 2016.

Thanks.

Thursday, November 10, 2016 7:10 PM

Answers

• Hi,

The MigrateDatasourceDataFromDPM script will not work for migrating data sources from legacy storage to new modern storage.  To migrate datasources to new DPM Modern storage use the following steps.

1) Add new modern storage volume(s) to the DPM storage pool.
    2) Stop protection of the data sources you want to migrate and retain the Replica.
    3) Re-protect the data sources and select the modern storage volumes to use for protection.
    4) DPM will now copy the replica data from the old storage to the new modern storage replica.

When the old recovery points expire on the old storage, the replica and recovery point volumes will get deleted. 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, November 11, 2016 5:41 PM

All replies

• Hi,

The MigrateDatasourceDataFromDPM script will not work for migrating data sources from legacy storage to new modern storage.  To migrate datasources to new DPM Modern storage use the following steps.

1) Add new modern storage volume(s) to the DPM storage pool.
    2) Stop protection of the data sources you want to migrate and retain the Replica.
    3) Re-protect the data sources and select the modern storage volumes to use for protection.
    4) DPM will now copy the replica data from the old storage to the new modern storage replica.

When the old recovery points expire on the old storage, the replica and recovery point volumes will get deleted. 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, November 11, 2016 5:41 PM
  • Thanks, I'll give that a try when I have everything running.
    Friday, November 11, 2016 5:49 PM
  • This does not work anymore after upgrade to UR2. It just protects the old backup again and runs a Consitency check.

How do we now migrate the backup ?

Wednesday, November 15, 2017 4:45 PM
  • Hi

DPM 2016 UR4 introduced the capability to migrate data sources between modern backup storage volumes.

blog-SC 2016 DPM UR4 Migrate Backup Storage in 3 simple steps

Friday, November 17, 2017 1:12 AM
  • Hi Christian!

Did you ever find a solution for this?

The shiny new UR4 feature only capable to migrate between MBS volumes, but not from legacy storage.

I really need a solution for this... I'm in the middle of an 2012 -> 2016 in-place migration, and cannot move existing backups to the new storage.
    At the lab testing phase, without URs the earlier mentioned method (Stop, Retain, Readd to new volume) worked, but now its simple not asking the location when readding the DS into the PG. 

Wednesday, December 13, 2017 10:56 PM
  • Hi

DPM 2016 UR4 introduced the capability to migrate data sources between modern backup storage volumes.

blog-SC 2016 DPM UR4 Migrate Backup Storage in 3 simple steps

That is true and very nice :)

Just too sad that MS forgot to put update of the stored procedures in UR4. So DPM crashes during migration.

See here for the new version of the Stored Procedure. Update on you own risk ;)

Regular DPM 2016 service crash

Thursday, December 14, 2017 9:59 AM
  • Hi Christian!

Did you ever find a solution for this?

The shiny new UR4 feature only capable to migrate between MBS volumes, but not from legacy storage.

I really need a solution for this... I'm in the middle of an 2012 -> 2016 in-place migration, and cannot move existing backups to the new storage.
    At the lab testing phase, without URs the earlier mentioned method (Stop, Retain, Readd to new volume) worked, but now its simple not asking the location when readding the DS into the PG. 

Yes, but not completely.

First see my previous post. You need to update the Stored Procedure first, or your system will crash WHILE migrating and then start crashing every day when doing backups. 

Secondly I am not finished figuring this out 100%. I don't have enough time right now to test it all. But I will migrate 50TB of backups in the next weeks, so then I will know ;)

But I can say this much when running UR4.

1. I guess to migrate you must minimum stop all backups that share the same partition ! Meaning all Hyper-V or SQL databases sharing same partition must be stopped and moved in one shot.
    2. You can migrate a single database to MBS by stopping protection without removing old protection and create a new protection group (PG). This worked for me. But probably only if it is placed on a backup partition by itself.
    3. If you stop ALL backups on a single fileserver, it also works. Meaning, stop system protection, SQL and file backup and then migrate by creating new PG's.
    4. I am not sure if you can just stop one virtual machine in a cluster and then move it to MBS. This did not work last time i tested it in UR2. I have not tested this in UR4 yet ! But that it did not work in UR2 can again be because of rule number 1. There were more backups in same partition.
    5. My feeling is that you need to follow rule 1 or stop all backups on one server before it works. 

Rule 1 does make very much sense to me. 

Please update us if you find out something new :) I will do the same :)

Kind regards

Christian

Thursday, December 14, 2017 10:22 AM