none
No HTML5 video in IE11 on Server 2012 R2 RRS feed

• Question

• I cannot seem to get HTML5 video working in IE11 on Server 2012 R2, in RDSH mode (Remote Desktop Session Host).

I have the Desktop Experience feature installed, and have tried adding the sites (e.g. youtube, vimeo) to trusted sites and cranked the security down to the lowest (medium-low) for trusted sites but nothing. I don't really want to have to use trusted sites anyway...

On YouTube I am getting the HTML5 right-click menu over the video area, but no video plays - just a buffering symbol spinning and then a black area where the video should be.

I tried changing the user agent to IE10 via the F12 tools, but no change.

I ran the suite of tests from peacekeeper.futuremark.com and most of the stuff worked, e.g. all the animations, but none of the video, especially videoCodecH264 showed as N/A.

www.w3.org/2010/05/video/mediaevents.html is giving "unknown error" in the video playback window.

I can make YouTube work by adding it to compatibility view, where it then drops back to using Flash player. This does not work for Vimeo.

I have minimal policy settings set on these servers at the moment.

Any suggestions would be most welcome, thanks in advance.

Wednesday, March 5, 2014 8:06 AM

Answers

• I think it's this:

Even logged on as an administrator, having IE ESC turned on for Users causes the HTML5 stuff to break. If I change the setting for Users to Off and restart IE, HTML5 video works fine. Tested with Vimeo and YouTube so far, both working.

Change the setting back to Users = On and restart the browser, broken again. So that seems fairly conclusive.

Tuesday, March 18, 2014 5:12 PM

All replies

• I cannot seem to get HTML5 video working in IE11 on Server 2012 R2, in RDSH mode (Remote Desktop Session Host).

I have the Desktop Experience feature installed, and have tried adding the sites (e.g. youtube, vimeo) to trusted sites and cranked the security down to the lowest (medium-low) for trusted sites but nothing. I don't really want to have to use trusted sites anyway...

On YouTube I am getting the HTML5 right-click menu over the video area, but no video plays - just a buffering symbol spinning and then a black area where the video should be.

I tried changing the user agent to IE10 via the F12 tools, but no change.

I ran the suite of tests from peacekeeper.futuremark.com and most of the stuff worked, e.g. all the animations, but none of the video, especially videoCodecH264 showed as N/A.

www.w3.org/2010/05/video/mediaevents.html is giving "unknown error" in the video playback window.

I can make YouTube work by adding it to compatibility view, where it then drops back to using Flash player. This does not work for Vimeo.

I have minimal policy settings set on these servers at the moment.

Any suggestions would be most welcome, thanks in advance.

Tuesday, March 4, 2014 11:29 AM
  • Hi,

As I know, Windows Server does not by default include certain "desktop" functionality, which includes the ability to play HTML5 video in Internet Explorer. Typically you wouldn't want users using server resources to play video. The "Desktop Experience" feature can be installed to add that functionality.

Installing this has no bearing on another machine's ability to play video served from this server.

You may try F12 IE developer tool to debug the following.

a. video object     b. Encoding    c. MIME Type

Meanwhile, I also suggest to contact IE development forum for further help:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/iewebdevelopment/threads

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us.  Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

Blair Deng

Blair Deng
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, March 5, 2014 3:10 AM
  • Thanks, have posted same question there also.

Can you give any more detail on the F12 stuff? I am not a web developer so I'm not really sure what I'm looking for or how to get to the right place.

Wednesday, March 5, 2014 8:10 AM
  • Hi Robincm,

I think this thread is specific to TechNet IE forum. So I am helping you to move this thread directly into that forum. Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, March 6, 2014 2:02 AM
  • Hi,

I suggest you checks this option, click Tools\Internet Options\Advanced\Accelerated graphics, tick or un-tick “”Use software rending instead of GPU rending” as a test.

And here’re some debugging tips, would like to share it with you

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/thebeebs/archive/2011/07/20/html5-video-not-working-in-ie9-some-tips-to-debug.aspx

Regards

Yolanda Zhu

Thursday, March 6, 2014 7:11 AM
  • Thanks but I have this thread open there already (same title, same text).

I was asked to open it in the MSDN forum by a MSFT TechNet person.

Thread is here: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/ie/en-US/d0f69c3f-a20a-4ee9-bfae-fe3e0c57b050/no-html5-video-in-ie11-on-server-2012-r2?forum=ieitprocurrentver

Could you perhaps then talk to the guy from TechNet (Blair Deng) and between the two of you decide which is appropriate for this issue? I now have two threads with the same name open in the IE11 preview TechNet forum...!

Thursday, March 6, 2014 3:41 PM
  • Have tried using software rendering (default seems to be hardware) but no difference. That's an interesting setting though, as although it is surely a per-user setting it claims to need a computer reboot before it takes effect. Settings that non-admins can change tend to be settings specific to the user and tend not to need reboots to take effect. So what's up with that? Anyway, made no difference.

Hitting F12 on any video on youtube.com immediately shows this error:

SCRIPT438: Object doesn't support property or method 'initKeyEvent'
    File: watch, Line: 19, Column: 39

Per the link you sent about the F12 stuff, I put the following into the javascript console:
    document.getElementByTagName("video")[0].error.code

which gave me a "1", which is apparently MEDIA_ERR_ABORTED "The fetching process for the media resource was aborted by the user".

Does that help you at all?

Thursday, March 6, 2014 4:11 PM
  • Also, just found this page: http://camenddesign.com/code/video_for_everybody/test.html

The video player gives me "Error: Video playback was aborted".

If I click the link to the MP4 file just below the video player I can play the .mp4 file fine in Windows Media Player.

Thursday, March 6, 2014 4:17 PM
  • Hi robincm2,

Thank you for your update.

IE11 includes a completely re-designed and enhanced suite of in-browser F12 developer tools.

For your reference: Developer tools ie11

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ie/bg182326(v=vs.85).aspx

Regards,

Blair Deng

Blair Deng

Friday, March 7, 2014 1:49 AM
  • Hi,

MEDIA_ERR_ABORTED "The fetching process for the media resource was aborted by the user". One official explanation is that the user navigated the browsing context to another page. seems beyond our capacity...

Have you tried to disable the protected mode for a test? (Internet Options\Secority).

I tested the link you gave in the original post, it works fine.

www.w3.org/2010/05/video/mediaevents.html

The video doesn't require any plug-ins to play, and the sorce video is fine, so I'm afraid that one component of your ie is broken, I suggest you run sfc/scannow to check and fix if there're some missing or corrupted files, if this doesn't help, turn off IE 11 in "Turn Windows features on or off", restart, then turn on, restart, check if it cna make any difference.

Regards

Yolanda Zhu

Monday, March 10, 2014 9:55 AM
  • This is happening on brand new freshly built VMs.

The only progress I've made so far is that it works out of the box.

Would be nice to have a better way to diagnose precisely what is being reconfigured/broken as this might help track down what's changing.

• Edited by robincm2 Friday, March 21, 2014 7:57 AM removed misleading details
    Monday, March 10, 2014 10:07 AM
  • Check the user with another local user account. seems some policies applied on the PC or prfile through GPO on the domain causes this issue, not sure which one is the culprit, as a workaround, I suggest you remove the policy then re-applied the policy (exclude suspicious ones), then test again. you should also post the issue in the server forum to see if there have some good ideas

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/home

good luck

Thursday, March 13, 2014 8:03 AM
  • Sorry, none of that helps. I need a way to easily diagnose why this isn't working, and F12 and all the coding skills that you need to interpret what that shows is not something I can pick up just to solve this problem.

Am still working on trying to work out what is causing this, will update if/when I find it.

Friday, March 14, 2014 9:41 AM
  • I've tried to replicate that with mixed success.

The only polices that seem to be applying are to do with BitLocker - so I'm assuming it must be something else.

Have been digging around in the F12 stuff. Saw this in the JavaScript console:

(ERROR) SEC7111: HTTPS security is compromised by http://pdl.vimeocdn.com/19305/559/202331144.mp4?token2=1395142662_028e6ffb3be925e04c24c6bd5b501ac9&aksessionid=7fca669e872f99a0
    File: vimeo.com

I've managed to get the HTML5 video playing by adding *.vimeo.com and *.vimeocdn.com to Trusted Sites. But that's not really sustainable in a large environment. Also, I'm getting the same error on another machine that is still playing the video with no problems (i.e. I've not added anything to Trusted Sites).

Adding just *.vimeo.com or *.vimeocdn.com doesn't work, they both have to be there.

Any suggestions?

Tuesday, March 18, 2014 11:32 AM
  • I've tried changing all the Internet Zone security settings to match those in Trusted Sites but still no joy. I've also disabled Protected Mode - for the Internet Zone as that's the setting for Trusted Sites, but still no luck.
    Tuesday, March 18, 2014 12:00 PM
  • I think it's this:

Even logged on as an administrator, having IE ESC turned on for Users causes the HTML5 stuff to break. If I change the setting for Users to Off and restart IE, HTML5 video works fine. Tested with Vimeo and YouTube so far, both working.

Change the setting back to Users = On and restart the browser, broken again. So that seems fairly conclusive.

Tuesday, March 18, 2014 5:12 PM
  • Hi,

I merged the two threads into one to help other community menbers to know more about this issue, from your last description, it seems indeed the ESC causes this issue, as I know, turn on this setting will change your browsing experience, as a result, some Web sites may not display or perform as expected, I'm afraid that it is by design, So I kindly suggest you turn off this settings, and in order to keep you away from malicious attack, here're some best practice you can refer to:

1. Do not use servers for browsing general Web content.
    2. Use client computers to download drivers, service packs, and other updates.
    3. Do not view Web sites that you cannot confirm are secure.
    4. Use a limited user account instead of an administrator account for general Web browsing.
    5. Use Group Policy to keep unauthorized users from making inappropriate changes to browser security settings.

Yolanda Zhu

Wednesday, March 19, 2014 8:23 AM
  • That's "best practice" for normal, regular servers. RDSH servers are essentially glorified multi-user PCs, and the users getting their desktops from them expect those to work the same as the desktop on a PC. Which includes video/scripting/etc. in web pages.

On a RDSH server publishing a desktop, web browsing is exactly the kind of thing you'd expect users to be doing.

Friday, March 21, 2014 8:03 AM
  • Hi,

Microsoft has released a blog recently, mainly focused on this issue, I'd like to share it with you, as mentioned in this blog, you can try the Windows PowerShell command prompt to solve the HTML 5 video issue

Windows Server as a Workstation

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ieinternals/archive/2014/03/17/internet-explorer-windows-server-enhanced-security-configuration-esc-html5-video-playback.aspx

Yolanda Zhu

Tuesday, March 25, 2014 6:55 AM
  • Thanks, but the blog post just says that to enable HTML5 you need to enable the Desktop Experience feature, which I'd mentioned that I'd done in my opening post of this thread.

The HTML5 video issue that I had (now resolved) was partly due to IE ESC and partly due to how the disabling seems to need to be done in a special way if you're running Remote Desktop Session Host on your 2012 R2 server. (and especially if you want to do it automatically rather than via the GUI)

I've blogged about this issue, and my resolution to it, here: http://rcmtech.wordpress.com/2014/03/21/no-html5-video-in-ie11-on-rdsh-2012-r2/

Tuesday, March 25, 2014 8:25 AM
  • Enable Desktop Experience feature!
    Sunday, December 20, 2015 8:29 PM
  • Listen to Alexander - Enable Desktop Experience. It worked for me.
    Sunday, September 11, 2016 1:26 PM