none
How do I move VHD from on Hyper V Server to other? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I have VHDs set up in Hyper-V in  Windows 2008 Enterprise Server. However due to administrative instructions, i have been asked to move the VHDs to a different Server.

I had 3 Servers installed with that. 1 server directly works on a VHD and i have moved that without any issues. However other 2 are labs and are a concern. I have created a Differential Hard disk and pointed the OS of both these servers to a common OS VHD. When i move the VHDs alone and start it on the other server, i get error.

Note: Both the target server and source servers are Windows 2008 Enterprise Servers.

I only feel that i have to export and import the configurations, however i am not well versed in using VHDs to the core :( .

Thanks in advanced...

APK
    Saturday, July 23, 2011 7:27 PM

All replies

• The import/export method is straight-forward, you just follow the wizard. If you do export, try to export it to your final location, and save yourself the extra time moving the files to the correct location. 

Regarding your copying of VHDs, you can do this but you will then need to recreate the configuration in the Hyper-V manager.

Since you are using differencing disks, you need to make sure you copy the parent disk as well, without the parent disk, the differencing disk is useless.  Ideally, if you can replicate the paths for the location of the VHDs, when you make your new VM and attach the VHD it should just work.

Otherwise, you will need to use the edit your differencing disk and reconnect it to the parent disk's new location. 

Monday, July 25, 2011 11:32 PM