none
DPM 2012 R2 and backing up CSV's RRS feed

• Question

• What's the best option on backing up hyper-v cluster shared volumes with DPM 2012 r2? I have the DPM agent installed on the 3 servers in my cluster. If I add a new protection group for Host1 and go to Volume C:\Cluster Storage, is that the best way to back it up? Thanks.
    Friday, August 15, 2014 6:44 PM

Answers

• Hi

If you have one or more Windows dynamic disks as seen in Windows disk management in the virtual machine, then online backups will not be available.

What you can do is install a DPM agent inside the guest and protect the volumes that are on the Dynamic disks., then add new .VHD's to the VM and create some new equally sized volumes on BASIC disk(s).  When the server is not in use - make one last recovery point for the volumes and then restore that to the new basic volumes - be sure to apply same permissions during the restore to alternate location.  Once the restore is done, remove the dynamic disks from the VM, change drive letters for the new volumes to match the original.  Now online backups can be performed and you can stop protection of the original volumes and remove the DPM agent.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by SCPSTech Saturday, August 23, 2014 1:20 PM
    Monday, August 18, 2014 6:10 PM

All replies

• Hi

Look here:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh758027.aspx

Sunday, August 17, 2014 12:47 PM
  • Hi,

You did not mention the operating system of the Hyper-V cluster.  There have been many improvements in Windows 2012 R2 and DPM 2012 R2 with regards to Hyper-v protection.  Most recently DPM 2012 R2 UR3 has additional improvements.

This is a good link for DPM 2012 Sp1 and R2 protection of Hyper-v servers. 

Protecting Hyper-V virtual machines

You do not select the nodes c:\cluster storage, you expand the cluster and select the virtual machines under that.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Sunday, August 17, 2014 7:16 PM
  • The hyper v cluster is running Server 2012 R2
    Sunday, August 17, 2014 7:27 PM
  • Some of my virtual machines are showing online\vm name and offline\vm name. What's the difference?  I need these VM's to stay online when being backed up?

Monday, August 18, 2014 12:53 PM
  • You are using DPM 2012 R2 to backup Windows Server 2012 R2 hyper-v guests and observe that some VM's only backup using "Offline" state but you want backups to be using "Online " state.

SOLUTION
    =======
    Ensure the effected guests have a SCSI controller configured in the properties of the Hyper-V guest.   Windows Server 2012 R2 Hyper-V servers require a SCSI controller inside the guests so snapshots created as part of the backup process can be mounted.  IDE controller does not allow this hot-mount operation, so you must install a SCSI controller in the guest.

The Windows 2012 R2 Hyper-V writer on the hyper-V host communicates with the integration components inside the guest and determines if online or offline backup will be performed.   Be sure the latest integration components are installed in each guest.

To get a real-time view of how the next backup will be performed, you can run the following test.

To list Windows 2012 R2 hyper-V writer captions for guests to see if online or offline state backups will be done:

From an administrative command prompt on the Hyper-V server:

a. Type: copy con script.txt and press enter
     b. Type: list writers and press enter
     c. Press CTRL + Z + enter (to save)
     d. Type: diskshadow /s script.txt | find /i "caption: O"

Output will be displayed for each guest as follows.

C:\temp>diskshadow /s script.txt | find /i "caption: O"
                            - Caption: Online\SQLSERVER
                            - Caption: Offline\WSS-V14

The Windows 2012 R2 Hyper-V writer adds the VM in the following format:

For offline backups: Offline\<VMName>
     For online  backups: Online\<VMName>

Monday, August 18, 2014 3:38 PM
  • I am a little confused on this.  One VM has just 1 VHD which is on IDE Controller and another VM has 1 VHD on IDE Controller and 1 VHD on SCSI Controller.  The one VM that has the 1 VHD IDE Controller will let me do online backups, but the other VM with 1 on IDE and 1 on SCSI says offline backup.  See attached screenshot.
    Monday, August 18, 2014 4:24 PM
  • Apparently all my VHD's are dynamic disks. 
    Monday, August 18, 2014 4:55 PM
  • Hi,

I believe the requirement is only to have the SCSI controller. 

Dynamically expanding VHD's are OK - but hyper-V does not support backing up VM's online if the disks inside the guest are converted from basic to dynamic.

Monday, August 18, 2014 5:23 PM
  • I don't think they are dynamically expanding....Well the one VM on the left in the screenshot just has 1 VHD on the IDE Controller and I have the option for online backup with that one and it doesn't have SCSI controller VHD at all.
    Monday, August 18, 2014 5:25 PM
  • Hi,

You don't need to have a .vhd attached to the scsi controller, you just need to have one which you do. If you were to remove that, then that guest would also show offline.

Monday, August 18, 2014 5:41 PM
  • Ok then why is my other VM showing offline?  I guess because of the multiple dynamic disks?  Is there a way to change disk types without losing any data or configurations?
    • Edited by SCPSTech Monday, August 18, 2014 5:43 PM add to it
    Monday, August 18, 2014 5:43 PM
  • Hi

If you have one or more Windows dynamic disks as seen in Windows disk management in the virtual machine, then online backups will not be available.

What you can do is install a DPM agent inside the guest and protect the volumes that are on the Dynamic disks., then add new .VHD's to the VM and create some new equally sized volumes on BASIC disk(s).  When the server is not in use - make one last recovery point for the volumes and then restore that to the new basic volumes - be sure to apply same permissions during the restore to alternate location.  Once the restore is done, remove the dynamic disks from the VM, change drive letters for the new volumes to match the original.  Now online backups can be performed and you can stop protection of the original volumes and remove the DPM agent.

• Marked as answer by SCPSTech Saturday, August 23, 2014 1:20 PM
    Monday, August 18, 2014 6:10 PM
  • Wow.  Yeah that's going to take a while if I do that.
    Monday, August 18, 2014 7:06 PM