none
How to change the "Approval Manager" from the PWA? RRS feed

Answers

• I was just afraid that I might have missed an improtant update, that many of my users have always asked for.

Anyway, unfortunately, it did not change. You CANNOT edit Status Manager in PWA. It has to be done in Project. Tested both in Project Server 2010 and also Project Online.

Cheers,

Prasanna Adavi, Project MVP

Blog:   Podcast:    Twitter:    LinkedIn:   

• Marked as answer by new_page Thursday, September 11, 2014 5:43 AM
    Wednesday, September 10, 2014 3:47 PM

All replies

• new_page --

To do this from PWA, the Project Server administrator would first need to add the Status Manager column to a Project Details view, such as the Tasks Summary view, for example.  Once done, a PM will need to navigate to the Project Center page, click the name of a project, then apply the view containing the Status Manager column (for example, the Tasks Summary view if the column was added to that view).  The PM would need to change the value for every task in the Status Manager column to his/her own name, and then save and publish the project.  If your PMs are using Microsoft Project, then can open a project, temporarily insert the Status Manager column in any task view, and then specify themselves as the Status Manager for each task.  Again, even in Microsoft Project, the PM will need to save and publish the project.  The Status Manager is what you refer to as the Approval Manager; in other words, the Status Manager is the user who approves task updates from team members.

If by Approval Manager, you actually mean the timesheet approver, then the Project Server administrator would need to specify the correct Timesheet Manager value for each resource in the Enterprise Resource Pool.  Whomever is specified as the Timesheet Manager for a resource is the person who actually approves timesheets submitted by the resource.

Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Wednesday, September 10, 2014 1:37 PM
  • Dale,

I thought we could not change the status manager from PWA? Is this a new feature I missed?

Cheers,

Wednesday, September 10, 2014 2:51 PM
  • Prasanna --

I do not have a Project Server 2013 system in which I can test this functionality, so my answer was based on my assumption that we can change the Status Manager value in PWA.  If I am wrong, please feel to correct me, as I would like for the user to have the absolutely correct answer from someone (me, you, or anyone else).  It will NOT hurt my feelings if I am wrong and you correct me, by the way!  :)

Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Wednesday, September 10, 2014 3:05 PM
  • I was just afraid that I might have missed an improtant update, that many of my users have always asked for.

Anyway, unfortunately, it did not change. You CANNOT edit Status Manager in PWA. It has to be done in Project. Tested both in Project Server 2010 and also Project Online.

Cheers,

• Marked as answer by new_page Thursday, September 11, 2014 5:43 AM
    Wednesday, September 10, 2014 3:47 PM
  • Prasanna --

Hey, thanks for testing this for me.  This limitation in PWA functionality is why I still continue to recommend that PMs use Microsoft Project Professional to manage their projects, rather than trying to use the PWA user interface from the Project Center.  Even with the improvements made in Project Server 2013, the PWA interface falls far short of the scheduling capabilities of the Microsoft Project Professional desktop client.  I am sure new_page will be sorry to hear the bad news, but thanks for confirming the truth.  :)

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Wednesday, September 10, 2014 3:54 PM
  • @Dale: thanks a lot for your help.

I was refereeing to the "Status Manager". I already tried what you suggest, but it did not work the way I need.
    All in all, i understand now that "the status manager is the user who originally published the new task to Project Server", so i will try to use this as a way to manage the issue.

Thursday, September 11, 2014 5:50 AM
  • thanks indeed. your answer was really helpful
    Thursday, September 11, 2014 5:51 AM