none
Project Server 2010 Task Mode Manualy Scheduled and timesheet/task status response RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

when setting task mode to manually, I foun a lot of restrictions in responding task status (actual work) and timesheets. I try manually scheduled, because in altervative mode finish dates will be changed, when actual wok is not equal to scheduled work. I want that people enter their acutal work day by day into timesheet and status of tasks.

When setting timesheet to "simple input" (Einfacher Eingabemodus) in server settings, I cannot enter  work into timesheet. In task status only the total actual work of a task can be changed. Removing the option "simple input", I can add actual work into timesheet day by day, but in task status I am not able to import lines from timesheet. (Only automatic scheduled tasks can be imported.) Only total actual work can be changed. This is not a pacticable way to enter acutual values into the system, becaus team members have to add the inormation twice, into timesheet and task status.

Are there any other settings in Project Server or is tis a feature. What are the reasons for this restrictions?

Best regards
    Hartmut

Hartmut
    Wednesday, December 1, 2010 12:06 PM

Answers

• Hi Hartmut,

"single input" is Single Entry Mode (SEM) in English, for others reading that.

You identified a restriction for manually scheduled tasks. You can't enter any timephased actuals for them. It does also not work within project client: try to enter actual work in a usage view, it will not work.
    Enabling SEM, you force tracking method time per period - what is enter timephased actual work.
    So you need to take a decision: do you want to use manually scheduled tasks OR use SEM. It will not work together.

I can't explain the reason, since I was not involved in development. Manually scheduled tasks are a new feature, you not even need to define dates or duration and can enter any text into these fields. How should such a task being tracked .... In my opinion, manually scheduled task are a great new feature, but you really need to decide how and when to use. I normally do only use them in a very fisrt planning stage. When I start assigning resources, I change them to auto-scheduled. Moreover, in most of the systems, I don't allow to publish tasks if team members are assigned.

Regards
    Barbara

Wednesday, December 1, 2010 3:24 PM

All replies

• Hi Hartmut,

"single input" is Single Entry Mode (SEM) in English, for others reading that.

You identified a restriction for manually scheduled tasks. You can't enter any timephased actuals for them. It does also not work within project client: try to enter actual work in a usage view, it will not work.
    Enabling SEM, you force tracking method time per period - what is enter timephased actual work.
    So you need to take a decision: do you want to use manually scheduled tasks OR use SEM. It will not work together.

I can't explain the reason, since I was not involved in development. Manually scheduled tasks are a new feature, you not even need to define dates or duration and can enter any text into these fields. How should such a task being tracked .... In my opinion, manually scheduled task are a great new feature, but you really need to decide how and when to use. I normally do only use them in a very fisrt planning stage. When I start assigning resources, I change them to auto-scheduled. Moreover, in most of the systems, I don't allow to publish tasks if team members are assigned.

Regards
    Barbara

Wednesday, December 1, 2010 3:24 PM
  • Hi Babara,

thank you for your confirmation of restrictions.

I think manual tasks can be a great help after first planning stage in order to prevent any time shifts by responses from team members. I prefer to change my schedule manually by myself, not uncontrolled by team members. Perhaps in a next version there will be a better solution for this problem. Today I will think about another solution for my projects, switching from manually to automatich scheduled and using field Publish to release tasks for responses.

Kind regards
    Hartmut

Hartmut
    Wednesday, December 1, 2010 5:35 PM