Power Query Link Back RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I'm hoping there will be a relatively straight forward fix to this.

I would like to create a query using "items_master" as the source (a table housed within the workbook).   I would like this items_master table to be the foundation for multiple other tables.   Items_master is 3 columns which all identify/classify products we use (vendor, category, item).

I am able to create a query to another tab "Orders" in which I would like to linkback (or cross-join?) in some way.   For orders, I will be extending the table by adding columns for each week's order.   So the product line from items master will extend and I will enter the quantity of each item ordered.  I currently can add columns to the table and this works, however I run into difficulty when I need to modify Items_master, say to add a new flavor of bagels.   If previously blueberry bagels were in row 2 with july quantity in column F, adding a new product to row 2 would move blueberry bagels down to row 3, but the extended columns (with the orders) stay in row 2 - which would make it look like the new item has already been ordered, if that makes sense.    I need to somehow connect the rows in the additional columns to the corresponding rows from the query.

I've been able to find answers for (I think) how to do this using DAX, however, the way in which I am doing this is not compatible with that solution (DAX appears as a grey/unavailable choice)

I would like to use a query because I will be doing this for several other components (inventory, etc) that are all going to be set up in a similar way.  Having just one items_master will ensure all of our products get carried over to each spreadsheet.

Tuesday, July 17, 2018 2:14 PM

Answers

• Hi Shae. Based on the other thread you posted, I feel like the solution to your scenario should be pretty simple. However, a real-time conversation might be easier than using the forum. Can you private message me your contact info on the Power BI Community?

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/33215

Thanks,
    Ehren

Thursday, July 19, 2018 12:23 AM

All replies

• Hi Shae. Based on the other thread you posted, I feel like the solution to your scenario should be pretty simple. However, a real-time conversation might be easier than using the forum. Can you private message me your contact info on the Power BI Community?

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/33215

Thanks,
    Ehren

Thursday, July 19, 2018 12:23 AM
  • Hi Ehren,

I've never used the Power BI Community before - I just created a profile and added you.   I don't see another option to private message (perhaps that's pending you approving my request?)   Thank you!

Thursday, July 19, 2018 2:44 PM
  • Great. I don't see your request. Can you share a link to your profile page?

Ehren

Thursday, July 19, 2018 5:09 PM
  • https://community.powerbi.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/72977
    Thursday, July 19, 2018 5:19 PM
  • Ok. It says you don't have private messages enabled. Can you enable those in your preferences? If you do, you should be able to private message me.

Ehren

Thursday, July 19, 2018 5:22 PM
  • There is no option to enable private messages that I (or google) could find.  I have made my contact info public - don't know if that solved it
    Thursday, July 19, 2018 5:41 PM
  • Thanks. You can make your contact info private now.

Ehren

Thursday, July 19, 2018 8:44 PM