none
System State + BMR sent trough Prod NIC instead of Backup NIC RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am having trouble backupping my DPM protected servers using a backup NIC. We have setup the following environment:

DPM server:

Prod NIC 192.113.2.73/24
    Backup NIC 172.16.17.30/24

Add-BackupNetworkAddress –DpmServername DPMSERVER -address 172.16.17.0/24 –SequenceNumber 1

DPM client:
    Prod NIC: 172.27.0.21/24
    Backup NIC: 172.16.17.31/24

DPM server has the backup + production NIC address of the client in the HOST file. The client also has both production and backup NIC of the DPM server in the HOST file. 

Client can ping the DPM server on both NICs and the DPM server can also ping the client on both NIC. 

The problem that i have is that when i try to backup files, all the traffic is going quite nicely trough the backup NIC but when i try backuping the BMR and System State, it sends all the traffic trough the production nic. 

I've tried everything to force the traffic using the backup NIC but i am a bit stuck now. Not sure if this is a limitation of DPM or that i have a misconfiguration in my environment. Please help, suggestion anyone? :)

Monday, March 2, 2015 6:48 AM

Answers

• Hi Gleb,

I found the problem. The NIC properties were disabled on the Backup NIC which prevented the data transfer over the backup NIC:

• Client for Microsoft Networks
    • File and printer sharing for microsoft networks

But now i face another problem. I have more than 1 backup vlan that need to be backupped. My DPm server is connected to all the backup vlan that are configured. I need all the backup clients to automatically connect to the DPM server using the backup vlan. 

I don't like to use HOST files on all the client servers (150 + servers) and i need to find some other solution for this. 

• Marked as answer by Seref Kara Monday, March 2, 2015 11:18 AM
    Monday, March 2, 2015 11:18 AM

All replies

• Did you try adding a static route on client, routing traffic to dpm server through the backup interface?

Gleb.

Monday, March 2, 2015 8:29 AM
  • Hi Gleb,

I found the problem. The NIC properties were disabled on the Backup NIC which prevented the data transfer over the backup NIC:

• Client for Microsoft Networks
    • File and printer sharing for microsoft networks

But now i face another problem. I have more than 1 backup vlan that need to be backupped. My DPm server is connected to all the backup vlan that are configured. I need all the backup clients to automatically connect to the DPM server using the backup vlan. 

I don't like to use HOST files on all the client servers (150 + servers) and i need to find some other solution for this. 

• Marked as answer by Seref Kara Monday, March 2, 2015 11:18 AM
    Monday, March 2, 2015 11:18 AM
  • Thank you for sharing the result!

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, March 4, 2015 2:33 AM