Sound problems RRS feed

• Question

• Im having trouble with the sound. I was running windows xp and it was fine before windows 7. now the sound crackles and sounds like it is going in slow motion. when i play an kind of audio. I reinstalled the driver and it says the conexant AC-97 is working fine. Do you guys have any ideas as to what the problems is? and does any one have the same problem.
    • Changed type Robinson Zhang Wednesday, January 14, 2009 5:39 AM change to question
    • Changed type Robinson Zhang Wednesday, January 14, 2009 5:40 AM change to question
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 5:18 AM

Answers

• Hi @ all,
    i installed the  "Vinyl AC97 7.0b" Audio driver - after changing speaker assignment to 5.1 i have relatively clear sound on my zd7000 notebook.

rgds,
    Christian
    • Marked as answer by Robinson Zhang Wednesday, January 14, 2009 10:00 AM
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 9:56 PM

All replies

• I had a similar sound "crackling/distortion" on my system using on board sound. After installing and updating X-fi drivers problem went away.
    Not sure what the fix would be for on board sound, but did want to let you know I had the same thing happen with my on board sound.
    Perhaps another will have a fix for you.
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 5:41 AM
  • Hi,
    I experience the same Problem with the Conexant AC-Link Audio device, cracklink/distortion. Under Vista & XP the device is working fine. I already tried to install Realtek AC´97 drivers but those fail to load.
    Serg91, did you already manage this problem?

Christian
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 7:43 AM
  • I think the crackling is chipset related, with regards to older chipsets and drivers.

I had random Crackling ans static with an Audigy 2 ZS but as soon as i removed it and switch to my onboard sound (Realtek ALC888) all sound distortion vanished
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 7:49 AM
  • Did you get the latest driver online? If you reinstalled the original driver from your motherboard disk, try the update route. But would be best if you uninstall the sound first, then install the driver meant for Vista.
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 8:33 AM
  • Hi,
    i got the driver for the Conexant AC-Link Audio (AC´97) via Windows Update.

Christian
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 9:07 AM
  • Try searching for conexant's site and get the latest they provide.
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 9:22 AM
  • i do have the AC- 97 audio driver did that work for you or are you still having the problem
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 9:19 PM
  • Hi @ all,
    i installed the  "Vinyl AC97 7.0b" Audio driver - after changing speaker assignment to 5.1 i have relatively clear sound on my zd7000 notebook.

rgds,
    Christian
    • Marked as answer by Robinson Zhang Wednesday, January 14, 2009 10:00 AM
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 9:56 PM
  • how did you change the speaker assignment to 5.1
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 10:07 PM
  •  where  did yo get the  vinyl AC97 7 audio driver
    • Proposed as answer by atholturner Thursday, April 23, 2009 4:20 AM
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 10:15 PM
  • nvm i found it and it works great thank you so much
    serg
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 11:40 PM
  • Hi,
    i´ll try to find newer / other drivers which work well because under heavy system load i still have some crackling on my speakers.

Christian
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 8:10 AM
  • Hi.

Currently trying out the x64 version and I have an X-Fi Xtreme-music soundcard which works flawlessly in Vista.  It wasn't recognised upon initial install so I extracted the files from the latest Creative driver file and installed using Vista compatability mode.  I don't have any crackles but the only thing is that 5.1 doesn't work although it's selected through the Creative console launcher and via hardware/settings in W7.  I only currently get sound out of the front left and right speakers (no center and rears).
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 10:05 AM
  • Ade 1 said:

Hi.

Currently trying out the x64 version and I have an X-Fi Xtreme-music soundcard which works flawlessly in Vista.  It wasn't recognised upon initial install so I extracted the files from the latest Creative driver file and installed using Vista compatability mode.  I don't have any crackles but the only thing is that 5.1 doesn't work although it's selected through the Creative console launcher and via hardware/settings in W7.  I only currently get sound out of the front left and right speakers (no center and rears).

I had this problem also. What you need to do is go into the control panel -> sound -> click on speakers -> configure and then set it to 5.1 in there. The creative console doesn't actually work in Windows 7 atm. The only problem I had then was all the sound meant for the back right speaker was actually coming out of the sub.
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 10:41 AM
  • Styphon said:

Ade 1 said:

Hi.

I had this problem also. What you need to do is go into the control panel -> sound -> click on speakers -> configure and then set it to 5.1 in there. The creative console doesn't actually work in Windows 7 atm. The only problem I had then was all the sound meant for the back right speaker was actually coming out of the sub.

Hi there.

Yeah I had set them to 5.1 through the method you sugget also but still no center or rears.  Having said that, the sound that comes from the fronts is very clear with no issues.  I understand that "someone" is actually working on getting the Creative drivers to work properly with Windows 7 so I would hope they'd be available for download soon.  It's someone called "daniel_k" who apparently originally fixed the issues they had with Vista.  You can perhaps google his name - he's confirmed he's working on them so hopefully shouldn't be too long!
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 10:48 AM
  • Im also having the same problem and its driving me crazy. Windows update found the Conexant ac97 driver but the sound crackles and is in slow motion.
    My computer is an HP zd7000. Serg, did you resolve your problem? If so where did you get your driver?
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 3:32 PM
  • Christian,
    If you ever find a better driver please post it here. Thanks
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 3:34 PM
  • I've installed Win7 on a system using a Creative Audigy2 sound card. Frankly I didnt expect the Creative generic drivers to work at all as Creative is notorious for lagging behind when it comes to legasy (any product not made within this year as defined by Creative) drivers.
    I was surprised that it worked at all but I too got the crackling sound when I switched from a two speaker arrangment to four. When I tried to go back the crackling persisted. My next move is to reinstall the driver.
    I dont consider this a Win7 issue as much as a mfg. issue. But I regress....
    23yrs0fdigirata
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 4:49 PM
  • CheeseEnchiladas said:

Im also having the same problem and its driving me crazy. Windows update found the Conexant ac97 driver but the sound crackles and is in slow motion.
    My computer is an HP zd7000. Serg, did you resolve your problem? If so where did you get your driver?

HI,

Have you tried the High definition drivers from the realtek sire? they worked fine on my system (Have on board AC97 sound) for your info i had the same problems with vista, got that sorted by loading the drivers that came with my laptop, but they did not work in WIn7, the latest high def drivers from the realtek site did

Clint
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 6:36 PM
  •  Hi, i am having the same problem as well. I am using Creative Audigy 2 ZS and got the driver from Windows Update.
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 6:50 PM
  • Hi,
    if Windows recognizes your Sound Card as "Conexant AC-Link Audio" & you have crackling/distorted sound google for "Vinyl AC97 7.0b" - the driver will work quite well - just under (very) heavy load you´ll still have some crackling. i did not have the time to look for a newer or better driver but i´ll keep you informed!

Christian
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 7:20 PM
  • Sudsy said:

I've installed Win7 on a system using a Creative Audigy2 sound card. Frankly I didnt expect the Creative generic drivers to work at all as Creative is notorious for lagging behind when it comes to legasy (any product not made within this year as defined by Creative) drivers.
    I was surprised that it worked at all but I too got the crackling sound when I switched from a two speaker arrangment to four. When I tried to go back the crackling persisted. My next move is to reinstall the driver.
    I dont consider this a Win7 issue as much as a mfg. issue. But I regress....

23yrs0fdigirata

Try going to creative for updated drivers, download and save to your hard drive, and then uninstall your card, then re-install using the package you downloaded. This goes for DarkFlyer too.
    My Specs: Homebuilt Multiboot (6 XP partitions, 1 Win 7 partition) ECS 945 GCT-M/1333 MoBo Intel Dual Core E2180 2.0 Ghz CPU 2-1 GB A Data RAM EVGA 8600 GT w/1Gb DDR2 Video (Dual View) Soundblaster Live 24 bit soundcard TSST Super WriteMaster DVD burner w/ Lightscribe WD 160Gb SATA II HDD (7 OS's) WD 320 Gb SATA II HDD (6 Storage Partitions) Xa Combo pack (Case,keyboard,Laser mouse,380 watt PS) My Band: myspace.com/benttwisted
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 7:40 PM
  •   I've been using the Vinyl AC97 7.0b for a while on my Hp ZD8230US Laptop with Win7. I still experience a static sound whenever a short sound is to be played, like a click or ding, or other quick Windows sound.
     It actually either overlays the original sound or just overpowers it.
     I'm going to try a set of Conexant HD drivers now and see if they're any better.
     As was found by member "zd7140" in another thread,  if you go into the speaker properties/advanced and then select the default format to be 16 bit, 11025Hz (Dictation Quality) using the original AC97 drivers, the stutter/noise will stop. This at the expense of AM radio quality audio.
     Strangely, reducing the quality even further resumes the problem.
     I'm still working on it: I hope that Microsoft or Conexant are as well.........
    • Edited by DanVegso Wednesday, January 14, 2009 7:52 PM spelling error
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 7:50 PM
  • DanVegso said:

I've been using the Vinyl AC97 7.0b for a while on my Hp ZD8230US Laptop with Win7. I still experience a static sound whenever a short sound is to be played, like a click or ding, or other quick Windows sound.
     It actually either overlays the original sound or just overpowers it.
     I'm going to try a set of Conexant HD drivers now and see if they're any better.
     As was found by member "zd7140" in another thread,  if you go into the speaker properties/advanced and then select the default format to be 16 bit, 11025Hz (Dictation Quality) using the original AC97 drivers, the stutter/noise will stop. This at the expense of AM radio quality audio.
     Strangely, reducing the quality even further resumes the problem.
     I'm still working on it: I hope that Microsoft or Conexant are as well.........

Hi DanVegso,
    I tried the "dictation quality" trick and youre right, no stutter! Please let us know how the Conexant HD drivers work for you. Im going to try the Vinyl drivers in a few minutes. Thanks again.
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 7:55 PM
  • Ok, so good news. I found this link in another related thread. I installed these drivers and they work perfectly.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericSoftwareDownloadIndex?lc=en&cc=us&softwareitem=ob-39083-1
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 8:14 PM
  •   Glad it worked, but, as I said, I can't take credit for the fix........it was zd7140 who came up with that.
      The Vinyl will work for you, but please let me know if you get the static sounds.
      I'll be trying the HD drivers in an hour or so, so we'll see...............
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 8:15 PM
  •   Strange. When I try to install using that file I get an installation "failure"
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 8:29 PM
  • what type of failure, does it crash out , does it roll back without installing or does it produce an error code?

Also have you tried installing it with Run as administrator and with compatability troubleshooter?

Wednesday, January 14, 2009 8:30 PM
  •   The installer shows a report stating installation failed, no error code. Tried Compat mode for Vista and XP as well as Admin.

http://www.pbase.com/image/108150276 is the screen I get
    • Edited by DanVegso Wednesday, January 14, 2009 8:50 PM added image link
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 8:41 PM
  • I got the same error when I attempted to do it. But I think that may be due to the fact that the Realtek AC '97 drivers installed on me again before I could install the new ones.

Been having that issue this morning, or it tells me that I already have the "best" drivers installed. Attempting again now.

Will post again is un/successful
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 8:44 PM
  • not sure if it will work , but if you reboot the pc with the F8 key you get additional options in safe mode now, one of them is disable driver signature enforcement. No idea if this will work with the 'you have already installed the best drivers ' scenario though
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 8:47 PM
  • Unfortunately came back with a failure again.

When I un-install the audio device, then scan for hardware changes. It will not let me choose the driver to install. Is there a way to change this?
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 8:47 PM
  • Same here: I get this screen: http://www.pbase.com/image/108150276
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 8:52 PM
  • DanVegso said:

Same here: I get this screen: http://www.pbase.com/image/108150276

Thats the one!

Cant attempt the safe mode idea yet, some odd reason downloading a 26Mb driver file is taking about 30 mins so far
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 8:58 PM
  • I'd be interested in knowing how CheeseEnchiladas managed to install them, as in an above post, he got them installed and working.....
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 9:00 PM
  • If anyone is able to do this, and they are awesome enough to screenshot the steps I think that would be beneficial to ALL!!!

PLS AND THANKS!!!

but i gotta go to school now. Those computers arent gonna network themselves. See you all later and props to anyone who finds the answer!!!!

Wednesday, January 14, 2009 9:10 PM
  • Guys! Disregard that Failure notice. When you opened the .exe file from the download it extracted the files to c:/swsetup/sp32272 right ? Ok, go to the device manager and right click on the ac97 device. Click properties then click the driver tab. Click on update driver. You will see a window popup and click Browse my computer for driver. Next, click on Let me pick from a list of drivers. Navigate to the folder where the driver was extracted and select it. Its going to install and ask you to restart the computer. Once you restart you should have sound and Bobs your uncle. 
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 9:35 PM
  • Tried that.
     I get a "The best driver for your hardware is already installed" Windows has determined the driver software for your device is up to date."
     I'll try to uninstall the software and re-install..............
     Nope. Still get a failure.......
    • Edited by DanVegso Wednesday, January 14, 2009 10:14 PM new info
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 10:09 PM
  • DanVegso said:

Tried that.
     I get a "The best driver for your hardware is already installed" Windows has determined the driver software for your device is up to date."
     I'll try to uninstall the software and re-install..............
     Nope. Still get a failure.......

Dan, try restoring your laptop to the time when it was running the Conexant AC-97 driver from windows. Then try to update the driver.
    • Proposed as answer by DanVegso Thursday, January 15, 2009 1:04 AM
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 11:14 PM
  •  Tried it...no luck. Thanks anyway, though.

Even uninstalled ALL sound drivers, to the extent that Windows "found" new hardware. I tried to force the install and still got the failure notice.
     Windows was more than happy, after rebooting, to find the new hardware and download the AC97 software on its own.
     Weird, eh?
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 1:07 AM
  • guys again this is a flaw with windows 7 BUT im sure it will be worked on. Lets go back to school a bit. If you remember its a well known fact that the internet drivers (in lamens terms) fight for control of memory with your audio driver when used at the same time. I for one noticed on the prior beta this happened alot ONLY when I was on the net. Windows build 7000 however I noticed this problem resolved. This was tested on two sytems.

Try JUST listening to music and see if it still happens. IF not try getting the latest drivers from the manufacturers website and as always remember this is STILL beta.

zero061099
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 1:52 AM
  •   Yep, I'm aware it's a beta, and a very good and stable one at that. Congrats to the team on a very polished product.
      With the wireless shut down, the original drivers still lag and stutter. Listening to music is a pretty painful experience that way.
      I think the key is in the workaround. Setting the driver output to 16Bit 11025hz completely cures the problem. Sadly, the sound quality truly suffers for any form of playback other than the usual Windows sounds.
      Oddly, reducing the output quality further allows the stutter to return.
      That's got to be a clue to someone more experienced in programming than I.
      I have faith that this will get fixed in future builds, if for no other reason that the AC97 is such a popular codec, and there are a LOT of them out in the world.
      I'm not about to give up yet :-)

Thursday, January 15, 2009 2:46 AM
  • hi, my windows 7 installation also has sound problems, specifically audio static/distortion. I first installed the Ac'97 drivers, and then I saw a BSOD saying IRQ conflict or something like that. After rebooting a couple of times and using it it runs stable with rarely any crashes. I think the sound might be conflicting with other devices, not sure how to fix it. Just hope MS make a patch for audio problems ppl here are getting.
    dm
    Saturday, January 17, 2009 8:22 PM
  •   I've tried every driver and every suggestion I've found on the 'net and I still come back to 2 options:

1. Go with the AC'97 Vinyl drivers and have some static but no stuttering, but great sound quality.
     2. Use the Coexant AC'97 Vista drivers and set to 16bit 11025hz (dictation quality) and suffer with the poor sound quality.

I have faith that the developers will get this fixed. This thread has certainly provided enough clues as to the cause, and a good programmer should be able to take care of it with relative ease. I'd personally be happy to alpha test any of their solutions.
      I also have to think that, with everything else they have to deal with, this audio issue is "small potatoes" and may well be pretty well down on the list........
    Sunday, January 18, 2009 12:52 AM
  • Hi,
    I got the same problem. But now it works.
    Acer Notebook with Conexant AC97 Audio.

Downloaded the following file: http://www.station-drivers.com/telechargement/conexant/conexant ac97_61410559.exe

Unpack it, and rename the following files:
    camc6aud.sys to camcaud.sys --- camc6hal.sys to camchal.sys.

Copy them to c:\windows\system32\drivers    ---   overwrite the existing files and reboot.

It works !!!

Hope I could help you.

Greets
    Ralf
    • Proposed as answer by Aspire 1692 Sunday, January 18, 2009 3:31 PM
    Sunday, January 18, 2009 3:23 PM
  •  Thanks for the advice! Actually, I have those drivers, but they wouldn't install.
     I'll give this a try and post back.
     I have to ask: what gave you the idea to rename and substitute the files?
    Sunday, January 18, 2009 5:31 PM
  • After reading these threads and tinkering a little more I managed to get my sound working. I realised my mobo needed a proper audio driver and not the generic AC'97 audio driver.
    Note: I have onboard sound, and a Nvidia Nforce 3 K8n Neo Ultra 250 Gb motherboard.
    After first uninstalling my AC'97 codec I got a file called
    4.64_nForce_winvista_audio_32bit.zip from http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en-us
     I proceed to install it via the instructions on the download page and device manager, (also I had tried to install the Nforce Audio Codec and rebooted here: nforce614Beta_[Guru3D.com]) after it detected the Multimedia audio controller I cancelled and it auto installed the Nforce Audio Codec Interface.
     I still could hear a bit of static, so I muted the SPDIF input which I now could see in the Sound properties. When I right click on speaker properties the controller information is now NVIDIA nForce(TM) Audio, instead of AC'97. So now the problem is solved! :)

dm
    Sunday, January 18, 2009 9:02 PM
  •   Ralf, it appears to have worked!
     Great job! Thanks!
    Sunday, January 18, 2009 10:01 PM
  •  crystal sound fusion cs4281 wdm drivers not installing.please help
    Monday, March 9, 2009 3:42 PM