I cant boot up my Lapotop RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a HP laptop purchased 3-4 years ago (WinXP Pro). A few months ago i had to send it to HP to repair, because the fan failed and i couldnt boot it, so they repaired it, but now the warranty has run out.
    Now, over the last week i had a virus which crashed my computer so i had to switch it off from the power button, which i know is bad but the only way to switch it off.

After that when i switched it on again, i removed the virus (a fake firefox browser update from www.firefoxupdate.co.cc) only to have problems with 'MS generic host process for win32' , which kept on crashing and the error report popped up. This then caused the start menu to change to an older win98/95 version, the sound to stop working and the internet wifi stopped as well. This followed with further crashes and i had to switched it off from the power button a few times again.

Now, when i switch it on, the Windows XP boot screen shows up for a prolonged period, it then brings me to the login screen and when i login, it shows a screen with just my wallpaper on it and an error message with 'explorer.exe' and 'Dr Watson Post mortem debugger' comes up and then it stays frozen on the wallpaper.

I have tried booting in safe mode to no avail and now i am stuck
    Is there anyway to recover from this witout rebooting?
    I have not backed up the files on the laptop, so how can i do that as the winxp does not load up?- i have not taken out the hard drive of the laptop before and do not know how to copy files directly off the hard drive so if that is the only way can you tell me what cables to buy and how to do it/ link to a tutorial please. I have a desktop with plenty of space on the hdd to copy it on.

Thank you!
    Wednesday, October 6, 2010 7:45 PM

All replies

• If you have an hp recover disk, boot from it. one of the options is to do a system restore from a previous backup. (I hope you had that turned on)

Use this to go back to a date before the virus hit you.

You could try booting from the UBCD for windows, a free bootable cd. Run various virus scanners on it. While you may think your clean you may not be.

You could also do what I call an overlay install of your os.

see

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-reinstall-windows-without-losing-your-data/

Perform the section titled How To Reinstall Windows Without Losing Your Data

Wednesday, October 6, 2010 8:27 PM
  • If you only have repair image cd's and not an actual xp disk you can still get your documents off the computer. Here are a few ways you can recover your documents from your system. http://www.mypchealth.co.uk/GuideRecovery.php

www.mypchealth.co.uk
    Thursday, October 7, 2010 2:47 PM
  • I think the best option would be to transfer data from the hard drive to my desktop, as i do not have recover disk, so i have ordered the sata to usb cable.
    Whilst waiting for it, i was wondering once i transfer all the files, the best thing would be to reinstall the OS
    in order to make sure the virus is totally removed.
    I do not however have a windows xp install disc, when i ordered my laptop of ebuyer.com, it was preinstalled on the laptop with no cd and anyway the cd drive on the laptop is broken.
    How do i reinstall windows, and would the windows still be legit if i reinstall it on the same laptop.
    I think the product key is on a sticker underneath the laptop, where can i get a copy of windows to install it with?

Thanks alot for your help :)

Saturday, October 9, 2010 5:13 PM
  • hello, it is a good idea to reinstall the OS,once you get the installation disc be sure it is the same than your product key, and you can reinstall your OS as many times as you want, and for your cd drive you can change it or set up bios to boot up from usb external cd drive, install the disc and follow the steps or watch "youtube" there are some videos that show you how to do it,  good luck. I hope it works...espero te funcione :)
    Saturday, October 9, 2010 9:03 PM
  • I think the best option would be to transfer data from the hard drive to my desktop, as i do not have recover disk, so i have ordered the sata to usb cable.
    Whilst waiting for it, i was wondering once i transfer all the files, the best thing would be to reinstall the OS
    in order to make sure the virus is totally removed.
    I do not however have a windows xp install disc, when i ordered my laptop of ebuyer.com, it was preinstalled on the laptop with no cd and anyway the cd drive on the laptop is broken.
    How do i reinstall windows, and would the windows still be legit if i reinstall it on the same laptop.
    I think the product key is on a sticker underneath the laptop, where can i get a copy of windows to install it with?

Thanks alot for your help :)

I would not copy files from an infected machine to another machine. The risk of infecting your desktop as well is too high.

Bill
    Sunday, October 10, 2010 12:29 AM
  • I am just going to copy favorites, my documents and desktop.

Otherwise what do you suggest i do?

Sunday, October 10, 2010 1:36 PM