Shared mailbox folders - can they be made unmovable??? RRS feed

• Question

• I suspect the answer is no, but, gotta ask.

With some regularity I have issues with shared mailboxes where users will accidentally drag a folder into another folder. Uh oh, the folder "disappeared" and is "critical" to everyday life on earth - what did "I" do and please fix it. Usually, 99% of the time, easy peasy, open up OWA, open the shared mailbox, expand the folders, there it is, move it back.

Ran into 1 today though where I can't find the folder in OWA. Even searched the mailboxes of all that share the mailbox on the chance they drug it out of the share to their mailbox. No joy. I poked at the mailbox with PowerShell using Get-MailboxFolderStatistics, and there it is - drug into another folder that I can't see in OWA! Whaaaaa...t? So now what..don't know..but..weird. I'm exporting the shared mailbox to a PST, see if I can get the folder from there, but it's a big mailbox. How did they get the folder drug into another folder that can't be seen in OWA or in Outlook (connecting cached or direct)? Black hole/stealth folders!

This, of course, brought up the issue, again, of making the folders "stick" - that is, make them so they can't be moved. Any way of making them static, unmovable? What about logs, any logs showing who is doing the dragging? Could be a "training" opportunity.

Thanks,

Steven

• Edited by sklepzig Thursday, December 27, 2018 12:14 AM
    Wednesday, December 26, 2018 11:18 PM

Answers

• Hi Steven,

>> Shared mailbox folders - can they be made unmovable???

As far as I know, there is no option to make folders in shared mailbox unmovable.

What’s your permission to shared mailbox folder? Editor?

>> With some regularity I have issues with shared mailboxes where users will accidentally drag a folder into another folder.

When I move folder, I will see this notification. Do you see this? (I have Owner permission to this shared mailbox)

I can directly see "test" sub-folder in shared mailbox. Would you mind providing details about how you "drag a folder into another folder"?

Any updates, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Marked as answer by sklepzig Thursday, January 10, 2019 10:21 PM
    Thursday, December 27, 2018 3:04 AM

All replies

• Hi Steven,

>> Shared mailbox folders - can they be made unmovable???

As far as I know, there is no option to make folders in shared mailbox unmovable.

What’s your permission to shared mailbox folder? Editor?

>> With some regularity I have issues with shared mailboxes where users will accidentally drag a folder into another folder.

When I move folder, I will see this notification. Do you see this? (I have Owner permission to this shared mailbox)

I can directly see "test" sub-folder in shared mailbox. Would you mind providing details about how you "drag a folder into another folder"?

Any updates, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Marked as answer by sklepzig Thursday, January 10, 2019 10:21 PM
    Thursday, December 27, 2018 3:04 AM
  • Greetings,

Perhaps I've confused you, these are shared mailboxes, not folders that have been shared by users from their mailboxes.

Users are getting Full Access and Send As permissions to the Shared mailboxes via the EAC (or PowerShell if they don't want it to auto-map). They then create folders in the shared mailboxes as they wish to help them manage and organize the email flowing through the shared mailbox.

As an admin, when I need to help with a shared mailbox I give myself Full Access to the shared mailbox.

In my Outlook (2016) when I drag and drop a folder in the quick launch, the folder moves to within the destination folder without any confirmation dialog. I don't know if the users are seeing a dialog when they drag and drop, they don't tell me that if they do, however I suspect they get any confirmation.

Drag and drop is something many of them do to move email from the Inbox to a folder in the shared mailbox, just click and drag/drop in Outlook. I'm 99% sure they aren't right clicking and using the popup menu.

Steven

Thursday, December 27, 2018 1:32 PM

• Drag and drop is something many of them do to move email from the Inbox to a folder in the shared mailbox, just click and drag/drop in Outlook. I'm 99% sure they aren't right clicking and using the popup menu.

Steven

Hi Steven,

Do you move email to another folder or move folder to another folder as a subfolder? If you move messages, you will not see the pop-up window. If you move folder, we will get this notification.

Regards,

Perry

Friday, December 28, 2018 4:41 AM
  • Hi Steven,

I'm writing to see if there are any updates with this issue.

Please feel free to tell us if you need further assistance.

Regards,

Perry

Monday, December 31, 2018 5:23 AM
  • Greetings,

I don't get any pop-ups or confirmation requests when drag/dropping a folder or a file.

I don't see anything in Options that I could turn off or on to get the confirmation requests.

Assuming there's no way to lock a folder.

What about logs? Does Outlook and/or Exchange perhaps log these things? I know all about the message tracking logs, just wondering if perhaps Outlook logs folder moves, creation, deletion, etc. MS seems to log everything else..

Thanks,

Steven

Monday, December 31, 2018 11:42 AM

• Hi Steven,

Does this issue happen to all users? This notification should be by design.

Sorry that I haven’t found any related articles about logs when moving folders on Outlook client.

Besides, what’s the detailed version of Outlook? Please install the newest updates to see if it helps.

We can also try opening Outlook in safe mode on one problematic client to see if the issue continues. Please exit Outlook, press Win key + R to open the Run command, type “outlook.exe /safe:3” and then press Enter. This helps eliminate whether the problem lies on any third party add-ins.

What's more, I'd like to double confirm with you that if you move a folder inside another folder, you will see this notification. If you just move it to another location, there will be no such a notification.

Regards,

Perry

• Edited by Perry-Pan Wednesday, January 2, 2019 2:02 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Thursday, January 3, 2019 2:43 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by sklepzig Thursday, January 3, 2019 2:33 PM
    Wednesday, January 2, 2019 1:58 AM
  • Notification doesn't happen when moving a folder to within a folder, either by drag and drop or right-click and Move Folder. Running Outlook without Add-ins doesn't make a difference, behavior is the same. No confirmation dialogs.

I've not found anyone yet that sees a confirmation dialog when moving folders to within folders.

Outlook version: 16.0.4738.1000. 64-bit. I have no idea if this is the latest, I don't have control over s/w updates but our folks keep us pretty current I believe.

Thursday, January 3, 2019 2:41 PM
  • Hi Steven,

If the steps above don't help, I’d like to recommend you use the easy fix tool to completely uninstall Office on one problematic client and then reinstall Office to see the result.

Regards,

Perry

Friday, January 4, 2019 9:54 AM
  • I appreciate the suggestions. I'll take a look at the fix tool and uninstall process.
    Friday, January 4, 2019 1:43 PM
  • No problem~

Regards,

Perry

Monday, January 7, 2019 8:45 AM
  • There doesn't seem to be a way to make folders unmovable. Also, after numerous tests by several people with different Outlook configurations and installations we don't seem to be able to trigger the confirmation dialog mentioned here when a folder is getting moved into another folder.

Also doesn't seem to be any logging of things like this either.

Oh well.

Steven

Thursday, January 10, 2019 10:23 PM