none
Creating a central store

Question

• hello. i have never had to create a central store, but now have the need to control office 2016 policies. before i go ahead and create it in the sysvol share i would like to know if it will affect my current policies? i.e would these policy definitions for office be used in addition to what was available before in terms of the gpo settings etc...? my domain controllers run either server 2012 r2 or 2008 r2 and the clients are all on windows 8.1 ent.
    Monday, February 22, 2016 1:36 PM

Answers

• > i would like to know if it will affect my current policies?

No it will not. The central store simply changes the location where
    ADMX/ADML are searched for when _editing_ a GPO. For GPO _processing_,
    it is not used - nor for the content of existing GPOs.

Monday, February 22, 2016 4:48 PM
  • ok i understand now, but have the following question. according to the article posted by Ethan below when I do decide to use the central store i must copy the admx files into the relevant sysvol location. This is ok for office 2016 since i would then just go ahead and copy these admx files. however, do i now have to also copy the admx files thatare found on the local policydefinitions folder of Windows 8.1, server 2008 r2 and server 2012 r2? or will the gpo editor be clever enough to also look at the local policydefinitions folders on the domain controller, which contain the admx files on which current gpo's are based.

when you implement a CS, GPMC/GPME utilities will no longer refer to the local policydefinitions folder for anything, so, you need to copy all Windows/etc ADMX/ADML files from the local policydefinitions folder into the CS, as well as the desired Office etc templates/language files.

in general, admin template files for Windows features, are cumulative, so if you are using WS2012R2, just copy those and forget the older ones.

Office template files are not cumulative, so if you use Office2010+Office2013+Office2016, you have to copy all the version-specific Office template files.

eg office2010 uses outlk14.admx, office 2013 uses outlk15.admx, office2016 uses outlk16.admx, etc

NB: older Windows OS's like WinVista and WS2008 (non-R2 version) cannot read the newer ADMX formats for GPMC/GPME utilities, unless you apply a hotfix to those older OS's. This doesn't matter if you only use GPMC/GPME on newer OS's.

Don [doesn't work for MSFT, and they're probably glad about that ;]

Wednesday, February 24, 2016 8:48 AM

All replies

• > i would like to know if it will affect my current policies?

No it will not. The central store simply changes the location where
    ADMX/ADML are searched for when _editing_ a GPO. For GPO _processing_,
    it is not used - nor for the content of existing GPOs.

Monday, February 22, 2016 4:48 PM
  • Read this article for more information about how to manage Group Policy ADMX files with Central Store:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb530196.aspx

Regards,

Ethan Hua

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, February 23, 2016 9:05 AM
  • ok i understand now, but have the following question. according to the article posted by Ethan below when I do decide to use the central store i must copy the admx files into the relevant sysvol location. This is ok for office 2016 since i would then just go ahead and copy these admx files. however, do i now have to also copy the admx files thatare found on the local policydefinitions folder of Windows 8.1, server 2008 r2 and server 2012 r2? or will the gpo editor be clever enough to also look at the local policydefinitions folders on the domain controller, which contain the admx files on which current gpo's are based.
    Wednesday, February 24, 2016 7:24 AM

when you implement a CS, GPMC/GPME utilities will no longer refer to the local policydefinitions folder for anything, so, you need to copy all Windows/etc ADMX/ADML files from the local policydefinitions folder into the CS, as well as the desired Office etc templates/language files.

in general, admin template files for Windows features, are cumulative, so if you are using WS2012R2, just copy those and forget the older ones.

Office template files are not cumulative, so if you use Office2010+Office2013+Office2016, you have to copy all the version-specific Office template files.

eg office2010 uses outlk14.admx, office 2013 uses outlk15.admx, office2016 uses outlk16.admx, etc

NB: older Windows OS's like WinVista and WS2008 (non-R2 version) cannot read the newer ADMX formats for GPMC/GPME utilities, unless you apply a hotfix to those older OS's. This doesn't matter if you only use GPMC/GPME on newer OS's.

Don [doesn't work for MSFT, and they're probably glad about that ;]

Wednesday, February 24, 2016 8:48 AM