none
Initial Full Crawl doesn't complete? RRS feed

• Question

• Installed FAST Search 2010 for SharePoint and when I kicked off the initial full crawl, it doesn't appear to end unless the box is rebooted. I'm not sure if I missed a hot fix or what.

Searchs do yeild results, but one would hope that a full crawl on a lightly populated Pilot instance would end in a reasonable amount of time, say hours not days. Anyone else seen this happen and if so what you did to fix it?

Garth H MCITP | BI 2008 MCTS | SQL 2005 & SharePoint 2010 http://bitinkering.spaces.live.com/
    Monday, November 15, 2010 7:01 AM

All replies

• I am also facing the same issue. I am getting some results thro Fast Search Centre, Yet the Intitial Crawl is not completed even after 2 days for a small Content source :( . Any ptrs?
    Thanks, Devi Prasad M
    Thursday, December 23, 2010 4:33 AM
  • Hi,

I am also having the same problem, I have a Fast Search Installed on a separate machine, my environment has the following details:

1. SharePoint 2010 Web Front + Patched with December 2011 CU

1. SharePoint Application Server + Patched with December 2011 CU

1. SQL Server 2008 R2

1. Fast Search Server + Patched with SP1

I have the certificate installed, the Crawl Log is showing this generic error:

The crawler could not communicate with the server. Check that the server is available and that the firewall access is configured correctly.

I made sure that the firewall is disabled throughout my environment, and the antivirus has exceptions for the fast search bin folder.

I have opened all portal sites using the FastSearchSrv Account. I cannot find what is the possible issue that I have!

Can Anyone please point us with more troubleshooting steps to follow more than the blogs, most of there situations doesn't apply and we don't know how to get more data and input to pinpoint the real culprit in this issue.

Thanks in advance,

Friday, March 9, 2012 8:09 AM
  • The last case seems to be quite different from the first 2, so I will try to answer the last one.  The problem you are seeing i think is even prior to Sharepoint crawler even getting any documents to FAST, but purely an access issue.

You may have already checked this, but I would start by double checking whether you can access the URL you are trying to crawl via a browser, but make sure to do it from this same crawl server and not from WFE's.

If you are successful in accessing this URL via a browser, next try to use the "securefastsearchconnector" PS script to validate connectivity between Sharepoint Content SSA and FAST Content Distributor:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff381261.aspx

If that checks out, double check via Services which account "osearch14" process is  running under on the crawl component server in Sharepoint...is that the account the same as was used for "securefastsearchconnector" parameters?

Does that account have a proxy / auto-detect proxy defined on the crawl component server?

Igor Veytskin

Monday, March 12, 2012 2:17 PM
  • Hi Igor, Sorry for the late reply,

The Server had a problem with the services, after a long struggle I kept monitoring the Fast Search Services nctrl status, and they kept going dead after I restart them, and the strange thing is that their status didn't get updated instantly after they go down.

So finally I had to use a clean server and start the whole process all over again. Because all the steps have been done and I have checked all the steps that I have documented during the installation.

Thanks for the help.

Sunday, July 22, 2012 7:58 PM