Shared Read-Only Cache Service Start Failure RRS feed

• Question

• Environment:

Windows Server 2003 SP2 Terminal Server w/App-V Client 4.6 sp1 for RDS

Netapp Storage Controller

After configuring the Shared Read Only cache (as per http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg507632.aspx) (Populate the cache, stop service, place service in disabled state and restart, copy cache to network location, modify registry settings to point to location of cache and mark as readonly, reboot), the Application Virtualization Client service will not start.  The service start fails with the following message:

"The Application Virtualization Client service depends on the Sftfs service which failed to start because of the following error: Access is denied"

Permissions on the file share are correct.

If i move the read-only cache to a Windows File share, everything works...however there is something about the Netapp Storage controller that is preventing access somehow.

Has anyone successfully configured the shared readonly cache with a Netapp Storage controller?  Or can anyone provide any ideas as to how to troubleshoot this further?

Thursday, March 24, 2011 3:24 PM

Answers

• Turns out this was resolved by specifying the AD name of the Netapp Storage Controller in the UNC path.  Using a nbalias on the Netapp Storage controller worked for all normall CIFS access, but would not allow authentication from the system account.
    • Marked as answer by nicad49 Monday, July 18, 2011 5:39 PM
    Monday, July 18, 2011 5:39 PM

All replies

• Hello,

I would suggest posting this question in a Netapp-forum. 
    /Znack
    Thursday, March 24, 2011 3:30 PM
  • Are the permissions exactly the same between the two locations? Is the NetApp Filer not configured for authentication correctly (e.g. NTLM)?

As Znack suggests, this looks not to be related to App-V and you may get more expert advice in a NetApp forum. Be sure to explain that it is the computer account that is authenticating to the NetApp box not the user.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Thursday, March 24, 2011 3:40 PM
  • Thanks for the quick response...I have posted it to the Netapp community as well.  Can anyone tell me a little more about how this service authenticates and what it requires (i.e. NTLM, Computer Account have already been mentioned...anything else?)?
    Thursday, March 24, 2011 4:57 PM
  • We have the exact same issue with no solution....
    Tuesday, May 17, 2011 1:14 AM
  • Hello,

Have you verified that the netapp-box can authenticate the active directory computer account? 
    /Znack
    Tuesday, May 17, 2011 11:11 AM
  • Turns out this was resolved by specifying the AD name of the Netapp Storage Controller in the UNC path.  Using a nbalias on the Netapp Storage controller worked for all normall CIFS access, but would not allow authentication from the system account.
    • Marked as answer by nicad49 Monday, July 18, 2011 5:39 PM
    Monday, July 18, 2011 5:39 PM