Models missing from sample application RRS feed

• Question

•  

I now have the ASH sample application installed, but when I come to use it only 2 of the 4 models are present - Manufacturing and Resort Management.  As the latter needs the ASH Corporate Model to be be deployed first I effectively only have 1 model to work with.

The log file noted some exceptions. The first couple mention not adding data because it allready exists.

C:\Documents and Settings\steveb\Local Settings\Temp\1\2008-01-11_09-49-21>"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office PerformancePoint Server\3.0\BizModeler\PPSCmd.exe" ImportDimension -Server http://BI:46787 /app Alpine_Ski_House /site ASH_Corporate /dim ExchangeRate  "Data\ASH_Corporate\DimExchangeRateAll Members.csv"
    Connecting to http://BI:46787 ...
    Connected to http://BI:46787.
    Querying Type Library for content
    Successfully downloaded all type library content
    Connected to server http://BI:46787.
    Retrieving applications...
    Successfully connected to server
    Opening ASH_Corporate...
    Model site ASH_Corporate is open
    Checking out object ExchangeRate...
    Querying object ExchangeRate...
    Successfully retrieved object ExchangeRate.
    Querying object ExchangeRateType...
    Successfully retrieved object ExchangeRateType.
    Object ExchangeRate is checked out.
    Loading member of dimension ExchangeRate from file Data\ASH_Corporate\DimExchangeRateAll Members.csv
    The following records were skipped or corrected due to invalid values:
    Member already exists: "AVE",,"1","Average","Average","100","","AVE"
    Member already exists: "CLO",,"2","Closing","Closing","200","","CLO"
    Member already exists: "OPE",,"3","Opening","Opening","300","","OPE"
    Member already exists: "PRIORAVE",,"4","Prior Average","Prior Average","400","","PRIORAVE"
    Member already exists: "BUD",,"5","Budget","Budget","500","","AVE"
    Member already exists: "HIST",,"6","Historical","Historical","600","","HIST"

C:\Documents and Settings\steveb\Local Settings\Temp\1\2008-01-11_09-49-21>"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office PerformancePoint Server\3.0\BizModeler\PPSCmd.exe" ImportDimension -Server http://BI:46787 /app Alpine_Ski_House /site ASH_Corporate /dim Flow  "Data\ASH_Corporate\DimFlowAll Members.csv"
    Connecting to http://BI:46787 ...
    Connected to http://BI:46787.
    Querying Type Library for content
    Successfully downloaded all type library content
    Connected to server http://BI:46787.
    Retrieving applications...
    Successfully connected to server
    Opening ASH_Corporate...
    Model site ASH_Corporate is open
    Checking out object Flow...
    Querying object Flow...
    Successfully retrieved object Flow.
    Querying object FlowType...
    Successfully retrieved object FlowType.
    Object Flow is checked out.
    Loading member of dimension Flow from file Data\ASH_Corporate\DimFlowAll Members.csv
    The following records were skipped or corrected due to invalid values:
    Member already exists: "OPE",,"23","Opening balance","OPENING","300","","Opening"
    Member already exists: "PYA",,"3","Adjustments on Opening balance post audit adjustments","PRIOR YEAR ADJUSTMENTS","500","","PY Adj"
    Member already exists: "REC",,"6","Transfer reclassification","RECLASSIFICATION","700","","Re-Class"
    Member already exists: "ADD",,"11","Addition","ADDITION","900","","Increase"
    Member already exists: "DISP",,"22","Disposal","DISPOSAL","1100","","Decrease"
    Member already exists: "MVT",,"12","Discrepancies between closing and sum of all other flows","MOVEMENT","1300","","Short Term MVT"
    Member already exists: "FX",,"24","Exchange rate variation","EXCHANGE RATE VARIATION","1500","","FX"
    Member already exists: "FXO",,"5","Opening exchange rate difference","OPENING EXCHANGE RATE","1700","","FXO"
    Member already exists: "FXF",,"17","Current flow exchange rate difference","FLOW EXCHANGE RATE","1900","","FXF"
    Member already exists: "INT",,"25","Intercompany Reconciliation Flow","INTERCOMPANY RECONCILIATION FLOW","2300","","Increase"
    Member already exists: "CLO",,"10","Closing balance","CLOSING","2500","","Closing"

Then further down there are a few entries for

Could Not Find D:\PPSWorkflow\Alpine_Ski_House\DataLocation\MG_*.dat

This last one looks more serious.

Anyone got any ideas as to why the .dat files were not in the expected location? (Indeed, not on the server at all)

Anyone know why 2 models came into existence but not the other 2?

Thanks in anticipation (and bemusement).

Friday, January 11, 2008 3:29 PM

Answers

• Hi Richard,

It seems strange why the ASH_Corporate isn't deployed as the other two sub-sites (Manufacturing and ResortMgmt) rely on this. There are only three in total (Manufacturing, ResortMgmt and ASH_Corporate)

You should see:

ASH_Corporate

---- Manufacturing

-----ResortMgmt

as the structure when you connect in Planning Business Modeller. If you can't see this, I suggest you re-install. Delete the application through the Planning Admin console and then delete the 2 databases (staging and Application) from SQL Server first.

You mentioned that the D:\PPSWorkflow\Alpine_Ski_House\DataLocation\MG_*.dat wasn't accessible. You might need to check the name you have given for the file location. For example, on mine I have the following in the DeploymentConfig.xml file:

<Parameter Name="DataLocation" Type="Uri">\\DDVPC01\Workflow\ASH\Data</Parameter>

I copied and pasted each Location value into a browser to check I have access to the folder.

S

Monday, January 14, 2008 3:20 PM

All replies

• Hi,

The models need to be deployed in certain order from the CHM file

After the installation process is complete, perform the following steps to confirm that the ASH sample application installed successfully and to deploy the model sites and subsites.

1. Open Planning Business Modeler and select Connect from the File menu.

2. In the Connect to Server and Open a Model Site dialog box, type the same address of the server that you specified in the DeploymentConfig.xml file to which you want to connect. Click Connect.

If the ASH sample application installs successfully, the ASH application is listed in the Select an application box and the ASH model sites are listed in the Select a model site box.

3. Connect to and deploy the following model sites and subsites in the following order:

Manufacturing

ResortMgmt

ASH_Corporate

ResortMgmt

Note:
      ResortMgmt must be deployed after the ASH_Corporate site. This validates cross-model allocation rules.

Thank you,

Sundar - MSFT

Friday, January 11, 2008 6:05 PM
  •  

Hi Sundar

That is my problem. When I connect to deploy the models I only see

Manufacturing

ResortMgmt

I don't see the other 2. So I can't deploy ASH_Corporate, therefore I can't deploy Resort Mgmt (which is the one I need in the immediate future for a demo).

How come only 2 got recognised? How can I fix it so I can see all 4?

Monday, January 14, 2008 10:59 AM
  • Hi Richard,

It seems strange why the ASH_Corporate isn't deployed as the other two sub-sites (Manufacturing and ResortMgmt) rely on this. There are only three in total (Manufacturing, ResortMgmt and ASH_Corporate)

You should see:

ASH_Corporate

---- Manufacturing

-----ResortMgmt

as the structure when you connect in Planning Business Modeller. If you can't see this, I suggest you re-install. Delete the application through the Planning Admin console and then delete the 2 databases (staging and Application) from SQL Server first.

You mentioned that the D:\PPSWorkflow\Alpine_Ski_House\DataLocation\MG_*.dat wasn't accessible. You might need to check the name you have given for the file location. For example, on mine I have the following in the DeploymentConfig.xml file:

<Parameter Name="DataLocation" Type="Uri">\\DDVPC01\Workflow\ASH\Data</Parameter>

I copied and pasted each Location value into a browser to check I have access to the folder.

S

Monday, January 14, 2008 3:20 PM
  •  

I'm following the instructions in the PPLSASHSampAppInst.chm file.

When I connect in the Planning Business Modeler I see the ASH application and it lists 2 model sites

-------Manufacturing

-------ResortMgmt

I selected manufacturing and it allowed me to then deploy the site.

When I selected ResortMgmt and tried to deploy the site I got an error message box compaining about the cross model allocation rules not being validated, with an instruction to ensure that the other model has been deployed.

I am assuming that the error message is referring to the need to deploy ASH_Corporate before ResortMgmt.

What is not clear in the help file is which are sites and which are sub-sites. If you notice, ResortMgmt is listed twice as below:

Manufacturing

ResortMgmt

ASH_Corporate

ResortMgmt

There is no indenting but I am wondering if the first reference to ResortMgmt is the site and the refs to ASH_Corporate and ResortMgmt after that are as subsites of the site ResortMgmt.

If that is the case, how do I deploy a sub site? (so that I can deploy them in the right sequence)

If that is not the case, then where should I be seeing ASH_Corporate and how do I deploy that before deploying ResortMgmt?

Wednesday, January 16, 2008 3:06 PM
  • Doh!

Spot the brain cell.

When I connect I see ASH_Corporate at the top level with the other 2 below it. I assumed that I could only connect to 1 of the lower level sites.

But I selected the top level ASH_Corporate and deployed it, then successfully deployed ResortMgmt.

It just leaves the question why ResortMgmt is listed twice in the deployment instructions. Does it need to fail a deployment before ASH_Corporate can be deployed, or is it just a typo?

One for the moderators, I think.

Thanks to all for their responses.

Wednesday, January 16, 2008 3:34 PM
  • Glad you sorted it out

BTW I reckon the ResortMgmt is a typo. If I recall correct I did: Manufacture, ASH_Corporate then ResortMgmt.

There are dependencies between ASH_Corporate and ResortMgmt. If one of those fails it's not a big deal as you just need to deploy the other one.

Wednesday, January 16, 2008 5:33 PM