none
DPM Clients on Wireless Network Cannot Sync RRS feed

• Question

• We have a DPM 2010 server that is connected to TrendNet switch which is then connected to a Cisco ASA 5510. Most of our clients are connected to the same network (192.168.0) and can sync fine. We have a Linksys E1200 wireless router that is also connected to the TrendNet switch that some of our laptops use for wireless access. The wireless clients are assigned an IP from the Linksys  (192.168.4.0) and everything is working - Exchange, AD, printing but clients that are on the wireless cannot sync to the DPM server. As soon as I connect a laptop to the wired network it can sync.

DPM is logging Event ID 10009 "DCOM was unable to communicate with the computer laptop.mydomain.dom using any of the configured protocols". To try to narrow this down I disabled the firewall on the DPM server, the laptops and the Linksys (under Security - SPI Firewall Inspection Disabled). I also disabled IPv6 using the registry hack but still have this problem. I don't know where else to look at on the Linksys as there is not much to configure. From what I've read this could be an issue with Dynamic RPC ports getting blocked.

The clients can see the DPM server as far as pinging or even mapping a drive to a share (it is also our Print server which works fine) so everything seems to be working except for the sync.

Is there anything that I am missing here?

Thursday, April 5, 2012 7:12 PM

All replies

• What does the DPM server show for the connected client when it is on the wireless network? Does it show the agent as unreachable? Is name resolution for the client computer resolving correctly from the DPM server? Is the client on the wireless network able to resolve the name of the DPM server? Are the reverse lookups of the addresses for both the client and DPM server resolving correctly? Do the clients have multiple IP addresses in DNS or is DNS keeping records up to date relatively quickly?

If there is a firewall enabled on any of the devices in between the DPM server and the clients you will need to either limit the RPC port range and allow that through the firewall or allow all of the dynamic port range through the firewall. Run a netstat -an on the client and look for any ports with a syn sent state that are trying to talk to the DPM server and vice versa on the DPM server when refreshing communication with the client.

Have a look at http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc161275.aspx and http://support.microsoft.com/kb/154596

Thursday, April 12, 2012 7:57 AM
  • Thanks for the information.

I found out what the issue was. The 3/16/12 firmware update for the Linksys E1200 added Bridge support which allowed us to set up the network connection as a Bridge connecting the clients to be on the same network and now DPM can sync to those clients.

• Proposed as answer by ShaneB. _ Thursday, April 12, 2012 8:46 PM
    Thursday, April 12, 2012 5:57 PM