none
Clearing out Attribute value after all action WFs execution complete successfully RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have couple of actions WFs which are designed to read and update User resource in FIM2010 and I want to clear out a specific User attribute in FIM2010 after knowing all WFs execution completed successfully.I have read in FIM2010 all action WFs run non-deterministic order and all my action WFs uses the attribute I want to clear out.

Is this possible? Is it possible to create a set of users on which no action WFs running?

currently I have single PG MPRs with Authorization and Action WFs firing when Administrator of an applicaiton tries to update set of User attributes. I want to change this MPR into many more based on operations as well attributes to send appropriate email notification to appropriate Administrators. Built-in email notification activity doesn't offer any flexibility to change email template and the EmailNotificationActivity is not supported so I want to stay away of it for now.

Thanks,
    Bhavesh

Thursday, October 25, 2012 8:27 PM

All replies

• Well ... <another TEC 2012 sponsored plug> maybe instead of trying to check if all workflows has completed you will create a job running on FIM which will look for objects which are matching criteria of users for whom all workflows has completed and then execute some policy on them </plug>. Bob Bradley was speaking about it on TEC and as Bob is often a guest here I'm sure he will be happy to provide guidance on how to do this,. In general

1. Create some object which will trigger your action containing some DateTime value against which set (2)will be evaluated

2. Create a set triggered on time based on value on object (1) to trigger it every day let say (update value on object after it will trigger a workflow)

3. As result of this set trigger some workflow which will find all the users who are matching your criteria and do whatever you want to do with them

Other solution would be that every workflow will contribute some value to some attribute (like a bit flag) and you will trigger workflow on change of this value. However it might be error prone as two workflows might execute update at exactly same time so effectively one will win in update.

Tomek Onyszko, memberOf Predica FIM Team (http://www.predica.pl), IdAM knowledge provider @ http://blog.predica.pl

Thursday, October 25, 2012 9:12 PM
  • Bhavesh-

My first reaction to this is that you should combine the two workflows and have a final step in the combined workflow do the clearing behavior. I don't know your scenario, but, offhand, it seems like trying to correlate two independent workflows is probably not the best approach.

One thought that comes to mind if you really need to do this is to add a custom multivalued attribute called say "WorkflowsCompleted", and then in the last step of each workflow, use a custom activity to append an identifier for each workflow to that attribute (a GUID would work, for example). Next, you could define a set with criteria (WorkflowsCompleted contains <value 1> AND WorkflowsCompleted contains <value 2>). Fire a third workflow on transition in to that set to do your cleanup steps.

My Book - Active Directory, 4th Edition
    My Blog - www.briandesmond.com

Thursday, October 25, 2012 10:10 PM
  • Thank you for your replies.

I have all activities in single workflow but I wanted to put them in separate WFs to send out different types of notifications based on some attributes add/remove/udpate. Having all attributes in single MPR and attaching single WF with all acivities doesn't solve my issue because each activity uses an attribute to execute successfully.

I was checking to see if out of the box it is possible.

Thanks,
    Bhavesh

Thursday, November 1, 2012 2:06 PM