Cached Mode and Shared Folders RRS feed

• Question

• When a user has full access to multiple shared mailboxes, performance issues can arise when they are cached along with the primary user’s mailbox. Outlook allows for disabling the downloading of shared folders to counter that potential. However, is there a way to set a single folder to cache while the rest remain in Online mode?

Saturday, October 3, 2015 4:18 AM

Answers

• Andre,

The performance issue your user is seeing is caused by the initial synch of the new shared mailbox.  His performance will improve if the synch completes, but as you see, if the mailbox is huge, this can take a very long time.  There is no easy solution to this, especially if the person needs to have access to the data while he is offline.  We have a GPO in our company that ensures that all shared mailboxes are not cached, since we have a huge number of users in T1 locations (we're a bank, these are our branches), and if any of these cached a shared mailbox they have access to, their network link would be useless for hours.  We can't accept the network disruption.

Will Martin ...
    -join ('77696c6c406d617274696e2d66616d696c6965732e6f7267' -split '(?<=\G.{2})' | ? { $_ } | % { [char][int]"0x$_" })

• Proposed as answer by David Wang_ Tuesday, October 20, 2015 5:10 AM
    • Marked as answer by David Wang_ Friday, October 23, 2015 5:11 AM
    Tuesday, October 6, 2015 6:41 PM

All replies

• I don't believe that is possible without custom code.

What kind of performance issues are you seeing that are worse than online access would be?

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

Saturday, October 3, 2015 7:16 AM
  • I agree with Ed. What version of Outlook are you using? Outlook 2013 gives you a slider so you can determine how far back you cache, e.g. 30 days etc.

<href="http://www.supertekboy.com/">Check out my latest blog posts on www.supertekboy.com A tech blog for Exchange Superheroes.

Sunday, October 4, 2015 3:55 AM
  • I’ve seen several instances where users with already modest system resources get full access to one or more shared mailboxes that are LARGE. Outlook has frozen itself and even the users’ entire systems. I have clients whose users like to share multiple mailboxes and numerous calendars. I’ve seen several instances where syncing stops for certain calendars causing scheduling conflicts with others managing the same calendars. Disabling caching of shared folders eliminates both scenarios. However, I have a user who has multiple shared mailboxes, but wants offline access to a particular one or at least the inbox folder therein. I found a potential workaround for it being to remove the automapping with PowerShell for that mailbox and configure it as an IMAP account which will allow it to cache offline, while the other shared Exchange mailboxes stay online. These users are using Outlook 2010.

Sunday, October 4, 2015 8:50 PM
  • The users are currently using 2010. But, thanks for the idea about the slider. Unfortunately, that applies to caching of the primary mailbox. I'm referring to shared mailboxes that are automapped by Exchange due to the user's full access permissions to them.

Sunday, October 4, 2015 8:51 PM
  • You could disable cached mode for all the mailboxes in the profile.  If it's a computer in the office and there is good network connectivity to the server then performance should be fine.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."

Sunday, October 4, 2015 9:38 PM
  • What you described, I already did. The problem is that a user has a single mailbox among them that he needs offline access to, so when he is offsite with no connection, he is still able to manage that content.
    Sunday, October 4, 2015 10:00 PM
  • He can still do that without running cached mode.  He can sync the offline folders before leaving the office.  I agree it's not terribly convenient.

Tuesday, October 6, 2015 6:14 PM
  • Andre,

The performance issue your user is seeing is caused by the initial synch of the new shared mailbox.  His performance will improve if the synch completes, but as you see, if the mailbox is huge, this can take a very long time.  There is no easy solution to this, especially if the person needs to have access to the data while he is offline.  We have a GPO in our company that ensures that all shared mailboxes are not cached, since we have a huge number of users in T1 locations (we're a bank, these are our branches), and if any of these cached a shared mailbox they have access to, their network link would be useless for hours.  We can't accept the network disruption.

Will Martin ...
    -join ('77696c6c406d617274696e2d66616d696c6965732e6f7267' -split '(?<=\G.{2})' | ? { $_ } | % { [char][int]"0x$_" })

• Proposed as answer by David Wang_ Tuesday, October 20, 2015 5:10 AM
    • Marked as answer by David Wang_ Friday, October 23, 2015 5:11 AM
    Tuesday, October 6, 2015 6:41 PM