Advice needed on a document archive solution. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

My organisation is currently looking to archive old data - mainly images and office files. We're running on a Server 2008 AD environment with Office 2003.

I'm currently thinking of buying another 2008 Server with lots of disk and turning indexing on. I would create a folder in every home or share drive called Archive and users can put data in there, which a powershell script would then periodically copy to the archive server and empty out.

If anything was required later on the users would have read only access to these files. The main aim is to get as much of this old stuff as possible away from the live servers.  There would potentially be some file and folder permission work required on the new server as well, unless the permissions can be copied as part of the script.

My main issue is that this seems like a somewhat clunky solution. Is there a more elegant way to achieve this or a Microsoft technology which would be more appropriate?

Cheers

Alan

Thursday, June 16, 2011 9:43 AM

Answers

• Enforcing your users to operate in folders where \\server\share\Officename\Year is used or try to make everything individual projects \\server\share\projects\<projectnames or projectnumber> will help you to classify old and new projects.  the users willl protest, but it will help them work systematic and they will profit in the end.

• Marked as answer by Kevin Remde Monday, November 14, 2011 11:43 AM
    Tuesday, June 21, 2011 9:01 AM
  • You can always use robocopy.exe ?  robocopy.exe is part of microsoft product.. you can download it via microsoft download center..

:) robocopy.exe <source> <destination> /move r:0 w:0

use /sec if is via DFS mode..

save the robocopy script as *.bat then go to schedule task to create a automated job which will trigger this *.bat file at a specific day and time..

Guowen Su | CCNA, CCIP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCTS, MCITP, CEH | http://www.microsoft.com/en/sg/default.aspx Our Goal? VERY SATISFIED Customers. If you're not...let's talk!! Please don't vote me for answers... because i do not want others to feels that i'm cheating ? :) In any case God knows :)
    • Proposed as answer by Soh.M Sunday, June 26, 2011 2:36 PM
    • Edited by Soh.M Sunday, June 26, 2011 2:39 PM changes
    • Unproposed as answer by Soh.M Sunday, June 26, 2011 2:39 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Soh.M Sunday, June 26, 2011 2:39 PM
    Sunday, June 26, 2011 2:36 PM

All replies

• Enforcing your users to operate in folders where \\server\share\Officename\Year is used or try to make everything individual projects \\server\share\projects\<projectnames or projectnumber> will help you to classify old and new projects.  the users willl protest, but it will help them work systematic and they will profit in the end.

Tuesday, June 21, 2011 9:01 AM
  • You can always use robocopy.exe ?  robocopy.exe is part of microsoft product.. you can download it via microsoft download center..

:) robocopy.exe <source> <destination> /move r:0 w:0

use /sec if is via DFS mode..

save the robocopy script as *.bat then go to schedule task to create a automated job which will trigger this *.bat file at a specific day and time..

Guowen Su | CCNA, CCIP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCTS, MCITP, CEH | http://www.microsoft.com/en/sg/default.aspx Our Goal? VERY SATISFIED Customers. If you're not...let's talk!! Please don't vote me for answers... because i do not want others to feels that i'm cheating ? :) In any case God knows :)
    • Proposed as answer by Soh.M Sunday, June 26, 2011 2:36 PM
    • Edited by Soh.M Sunday, June 26, 2011 2:39 PM changes
    • Unproposed as answer by Soh.M Sunday, June 26, 2011 2:39 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Soh.M Sunday, June 26, 2011 2:39 PM
    Sunday, June 26, 2011 2:36 PM