none
RU3 2012 Volume not detected 31085 alternate location RRS feed

• Question

• Need some help here...

I'm running 2012 RU3 and trying to restore some file to an alternate location.  I receive an error when finalizing the recovery that the  Volume cannot be detected E:\  (error id 31085) It then states to some such get-datasource -productionserver -inquire  

I have attempted the powershell command and in fact..it cannot be run as instructed by the error message..  Apparently there is data type issue... the productionserver is a non string var .. blah blah blah.. yuck.

At any rate I finally  found an example (the PS documentation examples are incorrect as well) on the internet and ran the command.. all hair pulling etc.. to absolutley no avail :(  same error

So..  If anyone has some information that might lead me be able to recover to some place other than "Original Location" I'd appreciate the assistance greatly.  Oh.. btw.. restoring a file to the same server but original location.. works great.. :( 

Thanks

Wednesday, October 17, 2012 2:33 PM

All replies

• Hi

Is the drive you restoring too a removable volume like an external drive memory stick?

Try going into the protection group and in the available members choose the DPM server you are restoring to and expand to see the drive.

you can also look at this thread:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/dpmpowershell/thread/159889b3-f401-491c-9b12-5a5bea93106f

Friday, October 26, 2012 11:27 AM
  • Still have this issue.... no its not a removable drive...
    Wednesday, December 19, 2012 10:27 PM
  • More information:

It seems that I cannot restore to alternate paths at all..  or shoudl I say alternate drives..  I can however restore to the same drive ..  So for example I can restore a database that is  F:\SQL\data  to F:\  (root) works fine..   But I cannot restore to a different drive on the same protected server..

I get Volume cannot be detected E:\  (error id 31085) bla bla  get-datasource -productionserver -inquire

I did finally figure out how to run the get-datasource (now get-dpmdatasource) with the -inquire  for other needing to do this below is the correct syntax as the documentation on technet is not correct (at least the examples) ..

$ps = Get-DPMProductionServer -DPMServerName  YOUR-DPMSERVERNAME  | where { $_.NetBiosName -eq "PROTECTED-SERVER-NETBIO-NAME" }
    Get-Datasource -ProductionServer $ps -Inquire

Unfortunately .. this does not help in any respect that I can see.....

I'm guessing  I'll need to call MS on this since there is no response at all....

Wednesday, December 19, 2012 11:13 PM
  • Did you get any kind of solution from MS support - that's my next step... I'm having the same issue...

Monday, May 27, 2013 4:22 PM
  • The solution is to hit the clear cache button. This was previously not available in the console.
    Monday, May 27, 2013 11:29 PM