none
How to write a Project report for the work that was left unfinished! RRS feed

• Question

• its a general question not related to the project software.

I need to write a report for a project(its an academic assignment) which was left unfinished by previous management 

my scenario is: "Write a report outlining all of the steps that you and your project management team will undertake in order to fully understand the current status of the project and determine whether it can be completed on time".

I need to write a project report outlining the steps to understand the current status and should determine whether it can be completed in time. 

know how the report should be what should i include in it could any one help me out please

Thursday, September 19, 2013 8:39 AM

Answers

• Jeevanbh --

Well, the first thing you need to know is if the previous PM allowed uncompleted work to remain in the past.  This is the primary factor that could cause the project to slip.  To determine whether you have uncompleted work in the past, you will need to do the following:

1. Click Project > Project Information.
    2. In the Project Information dialog, set the Status Date value as Friday of LAST WEEK (the last date that progress should have been reported by team members and entered by the PM).
    3. Click View > Filter > Late Tasks.

The Late Tasks filter will show you every task that should have been completed by the Status Date, but it not completed.  If you see ANY tasks after applying the Late Tasks filter, then your project Finish date is in jeopardy.  At this point, write down the current Finish date of the project, shown in the Finish column for the Project Summary Task (Row 0 or Task 0).  Next, you will need to reschedule uncompleted work in the past by completing the following steps:

1. Click Project > Update Project.
    2. In the Update Project dialog, select the Reschedule Uncompleted Work To Start After option.
    3. Leave the Entire Project option selected and then click the OK button.

Microsoft Project will reschedule all uncompleted work from the past and move it to the right of the Status Date.  Now examine the Finish date of the project shown in the Project Summary Task (Row 0 or Task 0).  Do you see a date later than the Finish date you wrote down?  This means that the project cannot be completed on time.

Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Thursday, September 19, 2013 12:03 PM