Can we use an existing SQL server with MAP instead of Express? RRS feed

• Question

• It forces you to use 2005 express either via download or locating the SQLEXPRE32.exe file.  Anyone know if it can be done or have a link on the install?  Thanks.
    Tuesday, May 6, 2008 6:45 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Yes, you may use SQL full edition instead.  Here's what you can do.

For the case of 20,000 computers or more (or if you desire to not use SQL Server 2005 Express), we recommend that you use a powerful server class computer, and that you install SQL Server 2005 Standard edition on the server, before installing the Accelerator. SQL Server 2005 should be installed with a new instance named “MAPS” and collation for the instance must be set to “SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS.” This collation is the default for English language installations of SQL Server.

Hope it helps,
    Baldwin

BNg
    Tuesday, May 13, 2008 8:55 AM
  • More info here:

http://blogs.msdn.com/agentless_provocateur/archive/2007/08/31/and-the-number-one-question-is.aspx

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 3:48 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Yes, you may use SQL full edition instead.  Here's what you can do.

For the case of 20,000 computers or more (or if you desire to not use SQL Server 2005 Express), we recommend that you use a powerful server class computer, and that you install SQL Server 2005 Standard edition on the server, before installing the Accelerator. SQL Server 2005 should be installed with a new instance named “MAPS” and collation for the instance must be set to “SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS.” This collation is the default for English language installations of SQL Server.

Hope it helps,
    Baldwin

BNg
    Tuesday, May 13, 2008 8:55 AM
  • More info here:

http://blogs.msdn.com/agentless_provocateur/archive/2007/08/31/and-the-number-one-question-is.aspx

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 3:48 PM
  • Hi,

If I want to use an existing, full SQL Server installation for the backend, do I have to install the MAPS tool on the same server as the SQL Server installation?  If not, is it possible in the installer to designate a server and instance?  Thanks.

ChuckH
    Monday, September 8, 2008 11:25 PM
  • The MAPS installer expects the SQL Server instance to be local.   There's no way to point the installer to a remote database at this time.  You can, however, point the application to a remote database after install, per the instructions in the getting started guide.
    Monday, September 15, 2008 8:14 PM
  • I have SQL 2005 Standard installed and I created a database called MAPS. The application still tries to install SQL Express. How do I get past the SQL express install?
    • Proposed as answer by Rolly Perreaux Thursday, December 4, 2008 8:22 AM
    Friday, November 7, 2008 6:45 PM
  • It is the SQL Instance that needs to be names MAPS, not the database.

From the release notes:

"8. By default, the Microsoft Assessment and Planning Solution Accelerator will download and install SQL Server 2008 Express Edition during setup. You may also use an existing installation of Microsoft SQL Server 2005 or Microsoft SQL Server 2008 if you create an instance named "MAPS". "

http://download.microsoft.com/download/4/6/f/46f45c42-d679-404e-9812-6053dd59a0d2/Release%20Notes.htm

Good Luck

Rolly Perreaux, PMP, MCSE

Thursday, December 4, 2008 8:26 AM