none
Required field - No warning message when user created his own tasks - Project Server 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone,

It's me again with a question about Project Server 2013.

Some times, users have to created their own tasks because the Team Leader hadn't planned the tasks or because they work with unplanned tasks.

All tasks have a required field and when you add a task in a project and don't add information in this required field, Project Server show a warning message. When users create their tasks by the "Tasks page" then "Add a row" and "Add a new task" and they leave their task without add this required information, Project doesn't show any warning. Last thing, when you add an information in the required field, then remove it, and try to save, Project show a warning.

So, my question, is it normal ? And if, I suppose, yes, my solution would be to add a field in the "Add a task page" but is it possible ?

Thanks, I know my question can be strange but it's what my company  would like to have.

Friday, January 31, 2014 8:31 AM

Answers

• So, yes this is expected and here's why.

During the design of the feature, it was discussed that many organizations use Task Custom fields to denote phase, stage or other PMO centric tags. This allows you to get the requisite data about the project while not restricting the PM to an artificial project structure.

The reality is that most team members either won't know the answer or care to provide an accurate one since they don't know why it is needed. So the decision to allow creation without required task custom field info was implemented for this specific case.

There's no way to add a field to the dialog, as far as I know. You could add a custom Project view in PWA or in Project Pro to help the PM discover and address these problematic tasks.

Hope this helps.

Treb Gatte, Project MVP, Managing Partner, Tumble Road LLC | @tgatte | http://AboutMSProject.com

• Marked as answer by Patmol6 Friday, January 31, 2014 9:16 AM
    Friday, January 31, 2014 8:56 AM

All replies

• So, yes this is expected and here's why.

During the design of the feature, it was discussed that many organizations use Task Custom fields to denote phase, stage or other PMO centric tags. This allows you to get the requisite data about the project while not restricting the PM to an artificial project structure.

The reality is that most team members either won't know the answer or care to provide an accurate one since they don't know why it is needed. So the decision to allow creation without required task custom field info was implemented for this specific case.

There's no way to add a field to the dialog, as far as I know. You could add a custom Project view in PWA or in Project Pro to help the PM discover and address these problematic tasks.

Hope this helps.

Treb Gatte, Project MVP, Managing Partner, Tumble Road LLC | @tgatte | http://AboutMSProject.com

• Marked as answer by Patmol6 Friday, January 31, 2014 9:16 AM
    Friday, January 31, 2014 8:56 AM
  • Thanks for your answer,

This is very useful and interesting to know why Project Server work this way.

I will look at your solution.

Friday, January 31, 2014 9:20 AM