none
Assigning Material/Cost Resource without Changing Task Start/Finish RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have my preferences set to create Manual Tasks that are Fixed Duration. I want to schedule a task that is 4 months long and assign a single material or cost resource to the task that has a duration of only a few days. The resource was added to the resource sheet and type was set to Material (although the behavior described below is the same for cost).  I set the start and finish dates of my task and assign the material resource. Immediately the work column is populated with a 1. If I deleted the 1, which I have to do in order to add a dollar amount for the resource, the resource assignment finish date moves in and so does the task date. Also, I cannot make the finish date of the resource earlier than the finish date of the task without the task finish date moving in. What am I missing here! If someone could explain this behavior, and how to get around it, that would be a huge help.

Thanks,

Jessica

Jessica Hancock

Friday, April 5, 2013 11:49 PM

All replies

• It's assigning the resource to the duration of the task.  You may wish to split the task into multiple components and only assign the resource to one of them.

I don't understand why you're deleting the "1" in the Work column to update cost.  You should be either using the Task Fixed Cost, or adjusting the unit rate of the material resource to calculate cost.

Andrew Lavinsky [MVP] Blog: http://azlav.umtblog.com Twitter: @alavinsky

Saturday, April 6, 2013 2:46 AM