none
Wiki article formatting and Recognition points RRS feed

• Question

• I have a couple of points which are different but both related to wiki that's why I combine both here. I have added one more wiki page which is as follows:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/34866.live-environment-for-asp-net-mvc-application-in-development.aspx

I did create it in design view rather than HTML view in Wiki editor. It's looking properly in the editor while it published then it's font color and heading are not as expected. The heading and font color are changed after publish.

I tried to fix these but couldn't get success. I would like to give  thanks to author Sabah Shariq who tried to edit this but formatting still same. Hence headings are not properly here that's why I could not add TOC here.

I am looking a favor that somebody can fix it for me and also add TOC and share what actual issues here.

Apart from that, First time I got recognition point for wiki article which is 5. As per point table (http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/17776.technet-wiki-how-to-earn-recognition-points-and-achievement-medals.aspx), A wiki article reached on <g class="gr_ gr_36 gr-alert gr_spell gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling multiReplace" data-gr-id="36" id="36">first page</g> view milestone then it got that points. But in my activity, I didn't get any entry for same and not get 15 minutes of fame. 

Thanks in advance. 

• Edited by Sandeep Shekhawat Monday, July 18, 2016 2:00 PM remove auto generated script
    Monday, July 18, 2016 7:19 AM

Answers

• I finished editing your Wiki article. That might have been the most difficult article I have ever "fixed".

The article had several problems.

• There were a few blank headings, lines in the HTML that were defined as headings but had no text. This creates extra lines in the TOC. I removed the blank headings.
    • Several heading anchor tag names included the zero character, "0". This is a known bug where the heading is ignored in the TOC. However, in all cases the heading included entire paragraphs and code blocks, so the zero character was not supposed to be part of the heading. I moved the tags so the headings only included the text that obviously was the heading. I modified the anchor tag names in the HTML to only include the heading text, which resulted in no zero characters.
    • A few other headings spanned more text and code than was intended, so I shortened the heading by moving the relevant tags in the HTML. It was difficult to make sure the starting and ending tags matched.
    • Colors were specified with RGB (Red Green Blue) values in the HTML. A known bug causes these colors to not appear after the article is edited in most browsers. The fix is to replace the RGB values with standard color names. I was careful to not replace colors specified by hex values in your code, such as #BEC3C7 (silver) and #41CAC0 (mediumTurquoise).

One text string in the article looks like it could be intended as a heading, but was not. The text is "Deploy Application on IIS Web Server". My last edit was to make this a heading. If that is not your intent, you can revert the last edit I just made.

Don't feel bad, several of these issues are known bugs that can only be fixed in the HTML editor, and often require experience. We are hoping that these problems will be resolved in the near future, when the Wiki platform is replaced. The issues are documented in this Wiki:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/2368.wiki-known-issues.aspx

The color issue is further explained here:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/16768.wiki-troubleshooting-color-issues-in-your-wiki-articles.aspx

Richard Mueller - MVP Enterprise Mobility (Identity and Access)

Monday, July 18, 2016 4:25 PM

All replies

• I finished editing your Wiki article. That might have been the most difficult article I have ever "fixed".

The article had several problems.

• There were a few blank headings, lines in the HTML that were defined as headings but had no text. This creates extra lines in the TOC. I removed the blank headings.
    • Several heading anchor tag names included the zero character, "0". This is a known bug where the heading is ignored in the TOC. However, in all cases the heading included entire paragraphs and code blocks, so the zero character was not supposed to be part of the heading. I moved the tags so the headings only included the text that obviously was the heading. I modified the anchor tag names in the HTML to only include the heading text, which resulted in no zero characters.
    • A few other headings spanned more text and code than was intended, so I shortened the heading by moving the relevant tags in the HTML. It was difficult to make sure the starting and ending tags matched.
    • Colors were specified with RGB (Red Green Blue) values in the HTML. A known bug causes these colors to not appear after the article is edited in most browsers. The fix is to replace the RGB values with standard color names. I was careful to not replace colors specified by hex values in your code, such as #BEC3C7 (silver) and #41CAC0 (mediumTurquoise).

One text string in the article looks like it could be intended as a heading, but was not. The text is "Deploy Application on IIS Web Server". My last edit was to make this a heading. If that is not your intent, you can revert the last edit I just made.

Don't feel bad, several of these issues are known bugs that can only be fixed in the HTML editor, and often require experience. We are hoping that these problems will be resolved in the near future, when the Wiki platform is replaced. The issues are documented in this Wiki:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/2368.wiki-known-issues.aspx

The color issue is further explained here:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/16768.wiki-troubleshooting-color-issues-in-your-wiki-articles.aspx

Monday, July 18, 2016 4:25 PM
  • Regarding recognition for your Wiki articles in your profile:

At present your profile activities show that you contributed your first Wiki article about 7 days ago, and your second about one day ago. I think your guess is reasonable that you got 5 points when the first article achieved the 500 views milestone. But the "15 minutes of fame" achievement does not yet show in your profile.

First, we unfortunately have no easy way yet to tell how many views our articles have had. Do you have some way to know for sure the article has 500+ views? It looks like a good article, but 7 days is a short time. I contributed a Wiki article in January that only reached 500 views a week ago.

Second, some of the achievements take a while to show up in our profiles. I believe the admins might run queries for some achievements only periodically, so there could be a delay of several days or more.

Third, it sometimes happens that we get points when there is no corresponding activity in our profile. It is possible that neither of your Wiki articles has 500 views, and the 5 points was for something else, like Wiki edits.

Finally, my experience is that points can be slow to come by at first for Wiki activity, but over time as our articles are discovered and become more popular, they achieve view milestones that can account for many points.

Monday, July 18, 2016 9:10 PM
  • First and Foremost, Thanks a lot for your valuable time to edit this wiki article.

I did start contribution from the last week that's why I faced problem to post this article. But I will take care all things for my future articles.

Yes, It's complex to fix. I have also tried but didn't get success. 

I appreciate your efforts for this article.

Thanks again from bottom of my heart. 
    RM : Do you have some way to know for sure the article has 500+ views?
    No, I don't know any way to find out the article's view that's why I am just looking page view milestone such as I get 5 points in the wiki contribution which means my article has been viewed for 500 times.

Tuesday, July 19, 2016 5:27 AM