Active x controls RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I was browsing Microsoft Forums in Internet Explorer, when a new tab kept opening and every time it opened the following message popped up at the bottom of the screen.

"Internet Explorer restricted this web page from running scripts or active x controls"

The new tab remained blank, which I kept closing. This repeated every 5 minutes or so.There was no interruption to browsing. Could you please explain?

Thank you

melita

Monday, April 16, 2012 8:42 PM

Answers

• It prompts you automatically, in most cases.

Ivan-Liu

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by floccinaucini Thursday, May 3, 2012 11:47 AM
    Thursday, May 3, 2012 8:35 AM

All replies

• Hi,

If you are working with a previous version of Internet Explorer, I suggest you upgrade Internet Explorer to version 9.

Meantime, you may reset Internet Explorer settings. Here is an official article can be referred to.

How to reset Internet Explorer settings
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737

In another way, you may run Internet Explorer with “no-add-ons” model.
    1. Open Start Menu, then click all programs, select Accessories, open the  system tools;
    2. Right-click Internet Explorer(No Add-ons), run as Administrator.
    If the problem disappears, it could be caused by Internet Explorer add-ons, you could try following steps to narrow down.
    1.    In Internet Explorer, click Tools and click Manage add-ons.
    2.    Disable the add-ons and keep the needed items on.
    3.    After finding the related item, double click the item and select Remove.
    4.    Restart Internet Explorer and check the issue again.

Please scan your system and remove malware in time.

If you have further question about this issue, please let me know.

Ivan-Liu

Wednesday, April 18, 2012 3:50 AM
  • Hello,

Thank you for the above. I use Internet Explorer 9

If I leave this as it is, and allow Internet Explorer to go on like this, preventing the running of scripts and active x controls, what will happen? What is the significance?

Regards

melita

Wednesday, April 18, 2012 5:35 PM
  • Hi,

You may manage add-ons to narrow down. If the issue persists, you could restore the Internet Explorer by turn off and turn on the IE feature in the control panel ->Programs and Features.

Note: Before you restore internet explorer, please perform a system backup first and backup your favorites.

Ivan-Liu

Thursday, April 19, 2012 1:31 AM
  • Hello,

Thank you for all the information. I am not an experienced computer user. I like to know what I am doing. Could you please explain, if I do nothing and allow Internet Explorer to block Active x controls and scripts, in what way does it effect my browsing? What is the consequence?

Regards.

melita

Friday, April 27, 2012 6:47 PM
  • Hi,

Some websites will not run normally without ActiveX contros and scripts.  When the new tab prompts ActiveX control, that means the website needs to install specific ActiveX control.  Be sure the ActiveX control is signatured or trusted one before installing.

If Internet Explorer runs abnormally, you may perform previous suggestion to narrow down the issue or reset Internet Explorer to resolve it.

Ivan-Liu

Monday, April 30, 2012 1:27 AM
  • Hello,

Internet Explorer is running normally. Only the new tab that opens automatically, at the same time as the warning, remains blank and I simply close that tab. The active tab where IE is open, runs smoothly with no hitch. Would you recommend a reset or to let things be?

Also please tell me how I could make sure, that an active x control is signatured and trusted.

Regards.

melita

Monday, April 30, 2012 9:47 PM
  • Hi,

Do you know the copy right of the ActiveX control?  Generally, it will prompt you, if not, I do not suggest you to install it.  Meanwhile, you could contact the website for assistance.

Ivan-Liu

Thursday, May 3, 2012 3:22 AM
  • How do I find the copy right of the Active x control?

melita

Thursday, May 3, 2012 4:09 AM
  • It prompts you automatically, in most cases.

Ivan-Liu

• Marked as answer by floccinaucini Thursday, May 3, 2012 11:47 AM
    Thursday, May 3, 2012 8:35 AM
  • Thank you

Best regards

melita

Thursday, May 3, 2012 11:48 AM