Vista Home Premium 32 bit - Black screen and white mouse pointer after booting up on a Gateway laptop RRS feed

• Question

• Hey folks,

So ya, my friend is having that same issue as was discussed in thread: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/itprovistadesktopui/thread/193b7008-ce4b-4d03-acc3-b8d7ffe610d5
    However there's a few differences:
    1. Going to SETUP, BIOS shows that no optical drive is being recognized. It shows NONE for optical drive.
    2. Tried the hints and suggestions as stated in the thread above, but I can't do much in terms of trying to run/install Vista from a CD/DVD as it wont recognize the drive. I tried modifying the boot menu and selecting "boot from CD/DVD as #1 option, but it still boots from the HDD, and popups up the HDD boot options eg. safe mode, safe mode with networking, safe mode and command prompt, and boot normally. I've tried all the boot modes, but they are all same.
    Loads the drivers and then goes back to black screen with white mouse pointer, even for the different safe modes. I've not been able to try out any of the suggested tips as I can neither get into any safe mode nor boot from CD/DVD... Any suggestions? Other than taking it to a repair shop?
    • Changed type V-2faqua Monday, March 8, 2010 8:20 PM
    Thursday, March 4, 2010 8:29 PM

All replies

• I am having the same issue and cannot figure it out.  I have tried everything and cannot figure this one out, if anyone has any ideas, I would greatly appreciate it.
    Monday, March 8, 2010 8:40 PM
  • I am having this problem after performing a fix for "your last session closed unexpectedly . . . ".  I was freaked out because the cursor arrow was the only thing showing.  I found that when this screen appears if you wait approx. 2 minutes and keep taping the mouse and hitting the enter key that the desktop will appear after around 40 seconds of hitting the keyboard and mouse buttons.  Now I am going to try to find the fix for this.
    Saturday, May 15, 2010 2:53 PM