Preventing automatic updates in Win 10 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

While I did some beta testing in a virtual environment before the official deployment of Win 10, I now have a laptop that has it, and thank goodness I DIDN'T do the "free" upgrade on my 2 other pc's. Why did Microsoft take away the ability to prevent automatic updates, and also the ability to choose just which updates a user wants to deploy? I despise automatic updating of anything, and all other previous versions of Windows gave one the CHOICE of whether they wanted auto updating and the ability to check each and every update with the "More info" link (sparse info, indeed), then CHOOSE if they wanted the update or not, e.g. the annoying Win 10 update nag message that so many people I know complain about, but had no idea they could prevent or uninstall once it was installed. I do not fall into the category that Microsoft thinks all users are morons and can't make their own decisions on these subjects. I want to DECIDE what to update, and when, and WATCH the updates happen, because over the past decades at the beginning, sometimes an update would destroy a Windows installation, and if you weren't paying attention, you may never know exactly what happened. Not only that, not ALL updates ARE necessary, and depending on the machine can cause more problems than they "fix". 

There MUST be a way to accomplish this, either by a setting somewhere within Windows, in Administrative Tools, or the registry, and if not that then a third party solution. Any ideas from the techs out there?

Wednesday, February 3, 2016 1:51 AM

Answers

• With Windows 10, your device is always kept up to date with the latest features and fixes. Updates and drivers are installed automatically, with no need to select which updates are needed or not needed. There is no option to hide or prevent the updates. This is by design.

Carey Frisch

Wednesday, February 3, 2016 1:57 AM
  • Hello,

If you like, you can prevent automatic updates using this method:

http://www.kapilarya.com/avoid-windows-updates-automatic-download-windows-10

After trying this method you've the ability to download and install updates on your wish.

Hope this helps, Good luck :)

Windows Troubleshooting & How to guides - http://www.kapilarya.com

Wednesday, February 3, 2016 5:08 AM
  • Hi,

The Professional, Enterprise, and Education editions of Windows 10 all have the “Defer upgrades” option.When you defer upgrades, new Windows features won't be downloaded or installed for several months. Deferring upgrades doesn't affect security updates. Note that deferring upgrades will prevent you from getting the latest Windows features as soon as they’re available.

Settings ->Update & Security ->Advanced options -> Defer upgrades

Also you could enable the group policy to defer update:

1.Click Win+R, type gpedit.msc and hit enter.

2.Navigate to Local Computer Policy > Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update.

3.Check if "Defer Upgrades and Updates" is enabled.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, February 4, 2016 6:04 AM

All replies

• With Windows 10, your device is always kept up to date with the latest features and fixes. Updates and drivers are installed automatically, with no need to select which updates are needed or not needed. There is no option to hide or prevent the updates. This is by design.

Carey Frisch

Wednesday, February 3, 2016 1:57 AM
  • Hello,

If you like, you can prevent automatic updates using this method:

http://www.kapilarya.com/avoid-windows-updates-automatic-download-windows-10

After trying this method you've the ability to download and install updates on your wish.

Hope this helps, Good luck :)

Windows Troubleshooting & How to guides - http://www.kapilarya.com

Wednesday, February 3, 2016 5:08 AM
  • Hi,

The Professional, Enterprise, and Education editions of Windows 10 all have the “Defer upgrades” option.When you defer upgrades, new Windows features won't be downloaded or installed for several months. Deferring upgrades doesn't affect security updates. Note that deferring upgrades will prevent you from getting the latest Windows features as soon as they’re available.

Settings ->Update & Security ->Advanced options -> Defer upgrades

Also you could enable the group policy to defer update:

1.Click Win+R, type gpedit.msc and hit enter.

2.Navigate to Local Computer Policy > Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update.

3.Check if "Defer Upgrades and Updates" is enabled.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, February 4, 2016 6:04 AM
  • Hi,

Was your issue resolved?

If you resolved it using our solution, please "mark it as answer" to help other community members find the helpful reply quickly.

If you resolve it using your own solution, please share your experience and solution here. It will be very beneficial for other community members who have similar questions.

If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.

Tuesday, February 16, 2016 7:56 AM
  • While Kapil's "metered connection" solution will stop the automatic downloading of updates, it won't allow full control as I still have in Win 7, especially in the Home version of Win 10. I'm sorry, I just don't get it. Why would Microsoft do this? There should be two options: one to do what happens now, automatically download everything, and one to have the control that has been part of every Windows OS since WFW 3.11. Come on Microsoft, just how hard is this? As I wrote in a Microsoft Community forum, just wait until an update bricks thousands of pc's, or, as what happened a few short years ago, breaks thousands of pc's network connections. How many automatic updates will download in either of those scenarios? I want my control back, and don't think it's too much to ask for!
    Friday, April 8, 2016 9:11 PM
  • I dont work for MS but I can understand their rationale.  In the course of doing 40,000+ BSOD's I have seen people who have done upgrade after upgrade and have never upgraded their malware or OS, forcing MS to support a myriad of configurations, and write software for each of them.  We have no one to blame but ourselves.

Thats one reason for the lack of choices, signed drivers, and quite a few other irksome decisions.

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag Windows IT-PRO (MS-MVP)

Saturday, April 9, 2016 1:00 AM