Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Error C:\Windows\System32\cscript.exe RRS feed

• Question

When user reboots PC, the runtime error pops up maybe about 10x, the moment the network connection has been established. I noticed that when the Ethernet cable is not plugged in, the runtime error doesnt occur.

I have cleanup the registry, run the repair tool for MS Office from Add/Remove and disable some of the startup programs/services but issue still occurs.

Here is the full error message:

Title Bar: Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Error

In the box: Runtime Erro!

C:\Windows\System32\cscript.exe

The application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application's support team for more information.

User can click OK on it and still be able to use the PC but the pop up window keep coming up.

Looking forward for any assistance.

Wednesday, January 5, 2011 10:44 PM

All replies

• cscript is the executable that runs WSH scripts. So a first line of troubleshooting would be investigating why the provess is launced and which script it attempt to run. You can use msconfig or sysinternals autoruns to determine which programs run on startup and/or login.

Also you will want to know whether the script is the cause or an error in cscript or WSH. If the script is culprit, invetsigate whether the script works on another machineand whether it works using wscript. Refer to http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/xprepair/thread/eca2f65e-fc00-47da-a5b2-d2f0a3a57cd6 to recover WSH.

MCP/MCSA/MCTS/MCITP
    Thursday, January 6, 2011 2:41 PM
  • i tried the following but no luck. I wonder why error occurs when the laptop is plugged in to the network. I noticed the Network card needs to be updated, so i did but it didnt make any difference. regsvr32.exe jscript.dll regsvr32.exe vbscript.dll regsvr32.exe wshom.ocx regsvr32.exe msxml3.dll regsvr32.exe -i shell32.dll regsvr32.exe OLEAUT32.DLL restart
    Thursday, January 6, 2011 11:14 PM
  • Can you try installing the following Microsoft KB on the workstation?

You receive a "This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way" error message when you run a custom Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0 program in Windows XP

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/884538

Regards,

Tom

MCITP: Enterprise / Server Administrator | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging Administrator 2007/2010 | MCP | MCDST
    Saturday, January 8, 2011 4:10 PM