Outlook couldn't start last time... Safe mode? RRS feed

• Question

• PCs with Outlook 2019 have been getting this message frequently:

Outlook couldn't start last time. Safe mode could help you

troubleshoot the problem, but some features might not be available in this mode.

Do you want to start in safe mode?

This started after upgrading from 2016 to 2019.

It is more of an annoyance than a real problem because I tell them to click No and Outlook opens with no issues.

Any ideas?

Monday, February 24, 2020 6:43 PM

Answers

• Hello,

What I ended up doing is going into Control Panel > Mail > Profiles

Deleting the users profile and starting over with a new one.

Seems to have solved the problem.

Thanks!

• Marked as answer by BJeff50s Tuesday, March 3, 2020 3:34 PM
    Tuesday, March 3, 2020 3:33 PM

All replies

• Hi ,

What's the version of your Outlook 2019? (File > Office Account > About Outlook). Please make sure you have upgraded your Outlook to the latest version.

>> It is more of an annoyance than a real problem because I tell them to click No and Outlook opens with no issues.
    If click "Yes" to enter safe mode, close Outlook and restart it normally, will the problem continue? There could be some add-ins in your Outlook client that cause issues like this, so it is suggested to start your Outlook in safe mode (Press Win + R, type “outlook /safe”, press Enter.), if it works fine in safe mode, then please disable your add-ins one by one to find the problematic one.

Do all the Outlook clients upgraded to 2019 have this problem? Is there any client that can be started normally after upgrading? If yes, please try to compare their version numbers and see if there is any difference.

According to my research, the error you mentioned may be related to your Outlook client settings, please try the following suggestions:

1. Custom navigation pane settings in different versions of Outlook may cause issues like this. Please try running the /resetnavpane command to remove all customizations to the navigation pane (Press Win + R, type “Outlook.exe /resetnavpane”, press Enter).
    2. A corrupted profile can lead this issue, so please try creating and using a new Outlook profile via Control Panel > Mail > Show profile and see if there is any difference.
    3. If the problem continues, please try to repair your Outlook.

Hope this can be helpful.

Regards,

Jeff Yang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, February 25, 2020 9:49 AM
  • Good morning.

Outlook 2019 version 1808 (build 10356.20006)

Tried clicking Yes (to safe mode) once and nothing happened, Outlook banner just closed.

Not all upgraded Outlook client have this problem and it doesn't happen every time either. 

I have compared versions and yes they are all the same. 

I will try 1, 2, or 3 once I hear of this issue again today and will update this thread.

Thanks all!

Tuesday, February 25, 2020 4:23 PM
  • Hi ,

Thanks for your reply.

>> Tried clicking Yes (to safe mode) once and nothing happened, Outlook banner just closed.
    Do you mean that the pop-up will disappear but you will not enter safe mode after clicking yes?

>> Not all upgraded Outlook client have this problem and it doesn't happen every time either. 
    Ok, it is suggerted for you to pay attention to if any special operations may cause this problem.
    If you encounter this problem again, please try my suggestions and reply the results.

Any update about this issue, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Jeff Yang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Thursday, February 27, 2020 9:31 AM
  • Hello,

What I ended up doing is going into Control Panel > Mail > Profiles

Deleting the users profile and starting over with a new one.

Seems to have solved the problem.

Thanks!

• Marked as answer by BJeff50s Tuesday, March 3, 2020 3:34 PM
    Tuesday, March 3, 2020 3:33 PM
  • Hi ,

I'm glad to see your issue has been fixed.

Here I will provide a brief summary of this post for your information. This will make answer searching in the forum easier!

Request/Expectation:

"Outlook couldn't start last time. Safe mode could help you troubleshoot the problem, but some features might not be available in this mode. Do you want to start in safe mode?"

Solution Summary:

Create and use a new Outlook profile via Control Panel > Mail > Show profile

Reference Links:

No.

Regards,

Jeff Yang

Tuesday, March 17, 2020 8:47 AM