hard drive RRS feed

• Question

• i was given this computer to fiddle with to try to get it working again.  the hard drive was fried.  it would not start up. message stated hard drive failure.  so.  i never was able to save any data .  nothing.  so i buy a new hard drive.  a different brand of course because the one that was factory installed was junk and life expectancy was about a year.  so . new hard drive. no windows.  cannot startup still.  i try everything i have from previous computers and everything.  no start up.  a friend took to his house and put windows xp professional on it.  awesome.  finally it starts   works   great.   now i have windows that is not validated.  why cant i use the numbers to validate windows from the bottom of this computer.  it had it before. hard drive broke.  never got to make a backup.   how do i get my previous xp home edition with this new hard drive.  please help
    Tuesday, November 15, 2011 6:48 AM

Answers

• Hi,

To be able to activate Windows the key must match the installed edition. You cannot use a XP Home edition license for a Professional edition installation. Also, it is not possible to downgrade the professional instalaltion to a home edition.

My recommendation would be to obtain installation media containing the Home edition of XP. Then install the computer with this edition and activate usign the product key listed on the sticker.

If that activation would fail (dependign on how many activation were already done with the key), you can contact the Activation Hotline (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950929). They will be able to provide an activation key whichis valid for you instalaltion.

MCP/MCSA/MCTS/MCITP
    Tuesday, November 15, 2011 10:42 AM