how to convert a vmware machine to hyperv using Microsoft Virtual Manager Converter RRS feed

• General discussion

• Good Day,

please assist, i am using vmware workstation 9 and trying to convert the virtual machines to hyperv using the mvmc tool. the problem comes after i choose the source or host of my vmware workstation. it proceeds but say they are o virtual machines on the source. what am i doing wrong/?

• Moved by BrianEhMVP Thursday, January 12, 2017 4:19 PM
    Thursday, January 12, 2017 10:18 AM

All replies

• https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn873998%28v=ws.11%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Note that this article does not say that it supports moving from VMware workstation.

You could try using a third party product.  I have used Starwind's converter (no cost) successfully.  Ensure that you remove the VMware tools from the VM before you convert the disk.  Starwind's converter doesn't really convert the VM; it converts the virtual hard drive.  Then you create a VM on Hyper-V and point it to the converted VHD, so you need to note the configuration of the VM on the VMware side to use to create the Hyper-V VM.

Of course, the typical caveat ... it is always recommended to build the VM from scratch rather than convert.  Then you never have to wander if it was the conversion process if something goes wrong with the VM in the future.  One less thing to debug.

. : | : . : | : . tim

Thursday, January 12, 2017 1:42 PM
  • Hello,

Tim, thanks for mentioning us. 

Tim is right you can use our V2V converter to convert your Virtual hard drives to format you need. You can download it here: 

https://www.starwindsoftware.com/converter

Monday, January 16, 2017 9:32 AM
  • Hello,

If you are try to convert vm from vmware to hyperv you can read the following article that i wrote and i have use it lot of times for your scenarion

How to Convert Vmware Virtual Machine to HYPER-V

Reply if you have any problem with the conversion to help you

Wednesday, January 25, 2017 6:49 AM
  • In a slightly off-topic question...

Is it possible to go from an ESXi VM to a Generation 2 Hyper-V VM?

I can go to Generation 1 fine but I can't find much on going directly to Generation 2.

thanks

Thursday, February 2, 2017 12:00 PM
  • It depends upon the VM.  Most of the conversion tools I have seen work with non-UEFI configurations.  If you have a VM on ESX that is a legacy (BIOS) system, you cannot convert it to a UEFI system.  Boot and disk partitions are different.

. : | : . : | : . tim

Thursday, February 2, 2017 1:53 PM