Cant Access Recovery Menu! RRS feed

• Question

• I have a hp pavillion dv 6000 laptop with vista home premium I just did a full system restore it was alright at first the I shut it down

then after I started it up again it says

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or softwar change might be the cause. To fix the problem:

1. Insert your Windows installation disc and restart yoru computer.

2. Choose language settings, and then click Net.

3. Click Repair your computer.

If you do nt have this disc, contact your sys admin or computer mfgr for assistance.

File: \Boot\BCD

Info: An error occurred while attempting to read the boot configuration data.

The problem is that I have the windows intstallation disc but my disc drive is not working/not booting from disc

If I got a external disc drive could I just plug it in and boot from the disc or would I have to setup the external disc drive?

• Moved by Carey FrischMVP Sunday, October 24, 2010 7:34 PM Moved tp proper forum category (From:Windows Vista Validation Issues (Windows Vista))
    Sunday, October 24, 2010 6:37 PM

Answers

• Hi,

This error message is stating that something has altered the area of the hard drive (HDD) that contains the information used to boot your computer. There are several reasons that this could happen but if you didn’t install any new software or any new hardware devices there are two possibilities we need to be concerned about: hardware issue with your HDD or virus/malware. 

You may take the following steps to test this issue:

1. Boot the system using the “Last known good configuration”: 

-----------------------------------------------------------------

1. Turn on your machine

2. Immediately begin tapping the F8 key repeatedly (If you get to the Windows startup screen start over)

3. When the Startup Options menu comes up select “Last known good configuration”

4. Let the computer attempt to boot into Windows

If this successfully gets you booted into Vista you should be ok. Your system will function as it did before. If this does not get you booted into Vista normally we can try running the System File Scanner.

2. System File Scanner

-----------------------------

1. Turn on your machine

2. Immediately begin tapping the F8 key repeatedly (If you get to the Windows startup screen start over)

3. When the Startup Options menu comes up select “Safe Mode with Command Prompt”

4. At the command prompt type this command sfc /scannow

5. Then press enter

This utility will look for damaged or missing system files and attempt to correct the problem. When it finishes, it will tell you the results (example: SFC found and fixed problems). Restart your system normally. If you boot successfully into Vista, the problem should be solved. Let us know if either of these steps solve the problem.

More information:

Vista won't start, repair or now install!! Error code: 0xC00000005

Regards,

Sabrina

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights. |Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Sabrina Shen Monday, November 1, 2010 2:44 AM
    Wednesday, October 27, 2010 7:58 AM