none
MS PRoject Professional 2010 - Estimated remaining work? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi. To track my project I can use the "Earned Value"-method by estimating the percentage physical work done. But I want to make my project plan more accurate by also estimating the remaining work (hours) on each activity. However, I cannot find a column to add to my plan where I can fill in those figures?! How can I complement my plan this way? Regards Mats
    Wednesday, December 7, 2011 9:32 PM

Answers

• Hi,

First, let's clarify some vocabulary. Planned Work in Project is ambiguous. Better use Project's terminology:

- WORK is work planned now, with the information known today.

- BASELINE WORK is work as it was planned at the time you set the baseline (often at the start of the project)

So in Project's terms, Work = Actual Work + Remaining work is ALWAYS true, always, inevitably, by definition.

So translating your demand into these terms:

"I need my coworkers to estimate the number of hours they have left on a specific activity" - very common request. The column you need is REMAINING WORK - best is to manage it from a Usage view such that you can address each assignment not just the task (where several resoruces may be assigned)

"Based on that I want to make a prognosis of my project similar to the earned value method" I hope you set a baseline atthe onset of your project? If not I'm afraid the original plan is lost :-( If you have you can use fields such as Work Variance.

If you want to use EV-like calculations on Work but you do not use Project's Cost fields (which is the case in way over 90% of projects in my part of the world) you can set HRS as the currency unit and 1 as the standard rate for all resources; now EV calculations such as EAC are available with calculations based on work alone. But again, without baseline it may be too late.

Greetings,

Thursday, December 15, 2011 9:37 AM

All replies

• Those columns all exist:

Physical % Complete

Actual Work

Remaining Work

Right click a column header in the Gantt Chart to insert.

Andrew Lavinsky [MVP] Blog: http://azlav.umtblog.com Twitter: @alavinsky
    Wednesday, December 7, 2011 10:03 PM
  • Hi,

I'm not sure you are going to be successful in this.  When using Physical % complete changes to remaining work will not have any impact on the Physical % complete value.  As Andrew notes, you can easily add Actual and Remaining work -- but those values do not impact Physical % complete.

Julie

Friday, December 9, 2011 9:30 PM
  • The column Remaining Work is (from what I understand) calculated as Planned Work - Work Performed. What I want is to get a calculation based on the estimated hours left on an activity. That is often easier for a project member to estimate than the "physical % complete" figure. I wonder if there is such an option built into MS Project 2010? 
    Wednesday, December 14, 2011 5:58 PM
  • You mean, like % Work Complete?  That's in there.  Just update Actual Work and Remaining Work to get % Work Complete.
    Andrew Lavinsky [MVP] Blog: http://azlav.umtblog.com Twitter: @alavinsky
    Wednesday, December 14, 2011 6:10 PM
  • No, that is not what I mean. Planned work = Actual Work + Remaining work. But, most of the time that equation isn't true at the end of the project.

I need my coworkers to estimate the number of hours they have left on a specific activity. Based on that I want to make a prognosis of my project similar to the earned value method.

Are you with me?

Thursday, December 15, 2011 7:46 AM
  • Hi,

First, let's clarify some vocabulary. Planned Work in Project is ambiguous. Better use Project's terminology:

- WORK is work planned now, with the information known today.

- BASELINE WORK is work as it was planned at the time you set the baseline (often at the start of the project)

So in Project's terms, Work = Actual Work + Remaining work is ALWAYS true, always, inevitably, by definition.

So translating your demand into these terms:

"I need my coworkers to estimate the number of hours they have left on a specific activity" - very common request. The column you need is REMAINING WORK - best is to manage it from a Usage view such that you can address each assignment not just the task (where several resoruces may be assigned)

"Based on that I want to make a prognosis of my project similar to the earned value method" I hope you set a baseline atthe onset of your project? If not I'm afraid the original plan is lost :-( If you have you can use fields such as Work Variance.

If you want to use EV-like calculations on Work but you do not use Project's Cost fields (which is the case in way over 90% of projects in my part of the world) you can set HRS as the currency unit and 1 as the standard rate for all resources; now EV calculations such as EAC are available with calculations based on work alone. But again, without baseline it may be too late.

Greetings,

Thursday, December 15, 2011 9:37 AM
  • Thanks!

I guess I really need to take a course to get things right here... :-/ Sorry to bother you all with stupid questions.

Regards

Thursday, December 15, 2011 10:00 AM
  • Hi,

No problem, I hope you are helped!

Greetings,

Thursday, December 15, 2011 12:30 PM