none
MS Project 2010 - "We can't write task "xyz" to the SharePoint site. This is either because the task list is in read-only mode or because this task has a column that requires a unique value." RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to sync my project plan to a sharepoint task list and keep getting the following error:

MS Project 2010 - "We can't write task "xyz" to the SharePoint site. This is either because the task list is in read-only mode or because this task has a column that requires a unique value."

I have checked that the list does not have any required fields and that all of the standard fields are filled out in the plan. Any ideas on what is causing this and/or how to fix it? Is there a standard set of criteria that the plan must meet in order to load into SharePoint?

Monday, December 16, 2013 3:58 AM

All replies

• Did you ever get a solution to this? We're getting the same message on Project 2013, syncing with SharePoint 2013. It occurs with a project / site that has been working previously. Suddenly started last week. As a test, created a brand new project, new site collection, and it still gives the same error. Have tried using fiddler / procmon to see if I can spot anything odd, but no joy. New machine, same problem. Different user, same problem.
    Friday, August 1, 2014 8:14 AM
  • I'm looking for a solution to this as well.
    Tuesday, August 12, 2014 4:34 PM
  • Any luck???  Same problem for me as well.  2013 SharePoint 2013 in the cloud.

**Edit:

Ok, saved the project to my desktop and then went into SharePoint and deleted the list.  Re-saved back to SharePoint and all is good.

• Proposed as answer by tmezz Wednesday, August 13, 2014 3:39 PM
    • Edited by tmezz Wednesday, August 13, 2014 3:41 PM
    Wednesday, August 13, 2014 1:39 PM
  • I have the same issue. This suggestion did not resolve the issue for me. I do have Microsoft Premier working on this. They have not been able to resolve this for two weeks now !
    Monday, May 11, 2015 4:47 AM
  • Any solution to this?  Having the same problem.  

Brad Wight

Tuesday, May 12, 2015 4:00 PM
  • I've seen this problem a few times now.  I figured out the issue the first couple of times...

I had added a Link field to the task list.  This field is editable only from the SharePoint interface (it wasn't bound to a column in the mpp file).  If that link had a comma in it, every time project synced it back to SharePoint, it added new escape characters to the link and eventually exceeded the column's max size.

The most recent occurrence of this error, unfortunately, I have not figured out yet.

Regards,

Kris

Friday, May 29, 2015 8:39 PM
  • Earlier I was assuming that this could be due to saving the local copy of the .mpp on local machine, but unfortunately when we try to "Open with Project" the error still persists. Still looking for a solution. Did anyone succeed in getting the root cause of this issue?

Regards,
    Ravi Thapliyal

Tuesday, August 25, 2015 3:59 PM