none
How does a timesheet manager of the resource approve the timesheet? RRS feed

• Question

• I want to enable the following situation (PS2010);

during the week resources update tasks - Status Manager approves

At the end of the week, tasks are imported into the time sheet and this is sent for approval

The timesheet approval appears in the timesheets managers approval centre - I want them to approve

However - some extra thing seems to happen; the resources timesheet approver get this weird unexplained box where they need to pick another person?????? Why????? I just want the timesheet manager to approve and not need to pick somebody else?  Or at least I'd like to understand who they should be picking yet another approver - and why???

Trying to stop the swap to Salesforce - but the errors keep a coming

Sunday, August 4, 2013 9:43 PM

All replies

• Andrew --

Ask your Project Server administrator to complete the following steps:

1. Log into PWA with Administrator permissions.
    2. Click Server Settings > Timesheet Settings and Defaults.
    3. In the Approval Routing section of the page, select the Fixed Approval Routing checkbox.
    4. Click the Save button.

This should solve your problem nicely.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Sunday, August 4, 2013 10:38 PM
  • It sounds like the Timesheet manager for resources submitting timesheets may in turn have their own Timesheet Manager (someone else) instead of being their own Timesheet Manager (themselves).

If the Timesheet Approver checks their "Manage Timesheets" page in PWA they will see the "next approver" column.

I recently found this resource which may help illuminate what is happening.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg502586(v=office.14).aspx

Dales advice on enforcing fixed approval routing would eliminate the option to send timesheets to whoever you choose.

Dominic Moss MAPM, MCTS, MCITP, MCT
    Wellingtone PM News
    Wellingtone EPM Site
    Wellingtone PM Recruitment

Monday, August 5, 2013 8:26 AM
  • Fixed Approval Routing

There is an option for Fixed Approval Routing in Timesheet Settings and Defaults. If this option is enabled, the team member is not allowed to change the next approver during the initial Timesheet submission.

Also Timesheet manager should have following Global Permissions to avoid Chain of Timesheet Approvers:

• View Timesheet Approval

• Accept Timesheets

• Approve Timesheets

Hope this will help you. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Raushan Kumar  | LinkedIn

Monday, August 5, 2013 9:04 AM
  • First - many thanks to both of you...

Hi Dale;

I did try your advice but; it is not the resource that I want to stop sending it to someone else for approval but the approver. The approver still got asked to pass it for a second approval - they end up sending it to me.

Hi Dominic;

Yes - that's the set up I have the timesheet approver approves their own timesheet.

-----------------------------------------

To be clear what I want to stop happening is the Timesheet manager of the resource being asked to send it to another person when they approve.

After a bit a heavy handed messing I found if I remove roles from the Resource (being approved) then the timesheet approver can approve in one step. But... I can't replicate that with confidence; I'm not really sure what I did or why it worked. The visio on Domonic's link only has the approver approving - what setting in PS is causing the approver to need to ask for higher approval? I guess it is role related as messing with that fixed it... but I now need to fix this wholesale for all resources.. I need to understand what I'm doing to do that.

Trying to stop the swap to Salesforce - but the errors keep a coming

Monday, August 5, 2013 9:19 AM

• You will need to enable the "Approve Timesheet" permission for the specific category that the manager has permissions to approve timesheets for.

If the Resource who is submitting the timesheet, is NOT in the category that the Timesheet manager has "Approve Timesheet" permissions for, then upon "accepting" the Timesheet Manager will be forced to select the next Timesheet Manager who does have the Approve Permissions (assuming Fixed Approval Routing is not enabled).

Hope this helps.

Prasanna Adavi,PMP,MCTS,MCITP,MCT http://thinkepm.blogspot.com

Wednesday, August 7, 2013 2:53 AM