Unable to Import AIX/Linux management pack RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We are using SCOM 2012 R2 & Unix (AIX) monitoring was working fine till couple of months back but suddenly something got break down & monitoring have stopped working. Initially i thought the Run as account on Unix side have expired hence have reset password & updated the same in SCOM Console but still same issue.

Then i have upgraded it to UR14 but same status. I have downloaded & installed Latest version of Microsoft System Center 2012 R2 MP for UNIX and Linux on SCOM server & tried to install it from disk but it's not doing anything. On the MP import wizard, it's stuck & not working further at all. Tried it couple of times but same status.

Is there any log file created while MP Import. Recently due to some server hardening, WinRM Basic client authentication has been disabled on SCOM server, not sure it anything related to this change causing such issues.

Appreciate any suggestion to troubleshoot this issue.

Regards,

Dhiraj

Monday, June 10, 2019 1:54 PM

All replies

• Hello Dhiraj,

Seems like you've had a few changes in your environment, in general I do not recommend performing any upgrade when trying to solve an issue, it might make things more complicated or more difficult to troubleshoot, luckily this was just an Update Rollup.

What exactly "broke down"? The whole SCOM or only the monitoring of all UNIX (AIX) machines? Or a specific UNIX (AIX) machine?

Have you tried the following:

- Reviewed the Operations Manager event log for any clues (event log location: Event Viewer > Applications and Services Logs > Operations Manager).

- Reviewed the logs on the UNIX (AIX) machines

- Clear the SCOM Console cache by using the /clearcache parameter.

- Restart the SCOM management server(s), SCOM database & data warehouse servers.

Here's also some troubleshooting articles from the Microsoft official documentation:

Troubleshooting UNIX and Linux Monitoring

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

Monday, June 10, 2019 3:32 PM
  • Hi,

For the winRM, we may check port 1270 is not blocked between the AIX server and the management servers.

For the management packs, we may use the following command to remove them first.

Get-scommanagementpack | where {$_.name -like '*aix*'} | remove-scommanagmentpack

And then copy them (from the installation media) to, for example, \\10.1.1.2\aix_mp, after that, run the following command to re-import them

$filepath = "\\10.1.1.2\aix_mp"
    $mps = Get-ChildItem -Path "\\10.1.1.2\aix_mp"
    foreach ($mp in $mps) {
         Import-SCOMManagementPack -ManagementPack $filepath'\'$mp
         Write-Host $mp
                           }

If there is any error, you may provide the relative screenshots.

Hope the above information helps.

Regards,

Alex Zhu
    -----------------------------------------------
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    Tuesday, June 11, 2019 6:15 AM
  • Hello Leon/Alex,

Thanks for the prompt response. Seems i linked two issues on this thread.

for the AIX broken monitoring part, seems the WinRM basic authentication is getting disabled under hardening which i have re-enabled.

on the MP import part there are two issues, i am trying to import linux MP which are not getting imported & get stuck.

For the AIX servers (AIX 7.1), seems the client package (scx-1.5.0-128.aix.6.ppc.lpp.gz) is not updated so i have deleted all AIX MP's (Both AIX 6 & 7) now trying to reimport them which is again stuck on the same screen.

One thing i missed in the initial details was, SCOM server self signed certificate was expired a month back & i have installed a new certificate.

Regards,

Dhiraj

• Edited by DhirajHaritwal Tuesday, June 11, 2019 2:26 PM Image upload
    Tuesday, June 11, 2019 2:26 PM
  • Hi,

When the Discovery Wizard deploys an agent, it retrieves the certificate from the agent, signs the certificate, deploys the certificate back to the agent, and then restarts the agent.

If we have changed the certificate (of the management server), other than renewing it, it seems we may need to re-install the agent.

For the management packs, we can check the event viewer to see if there is any clue when we importing them (either via UI or PowerShell).

Regards,

Alex Zhu
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    Wednesday, June 12, 2019 2:53 AM
  • Hi Alex,

Seeing this event every 10minutes.

Report deployment process failed to request management pack list from SQL RS Server. The operation will be retried.
    Exception 'SoapException': The report server cannot open a connection to the report server database. A connection to the database is required for all requests and processing. ---> Microsoft.ReportingServices.Library.ReportServerDatabaseUnavailableException: The report server cannot open a connection to the report server database. A connection to the database is required for all requests and processing. 

One or more workflows were affected by this.  

Workflow name: Microsoft.SystemCenter.DataWarehouse.Deployment.Report 
    Instance name: Data Warehouse Synchronization Service 
    Instance ID: {4218D5D2-70D3-C54C-C9CF-62679C56DD62} 
    Management group: SCOMMGMT

Dhiraj

Thursday, June 13, 2019 8:06 PM
  • Hi,

Based on the error, it seems that SSRS is not able to connect to SQL Server. Here is the page in SSRS Configuration Manager to set the database connection.

Regards,

Alex Zhu
    Friday, June 14, 2019 5:23 AM